Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying the hot and fast ribs  (Read 1312 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Trying the hot and fast ribs
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »
Ok guys. Here's my try at the h&f ribs. I used  a full chimney of kbb to start. Once dumped I added a handful of the charbroil lump charcoal on top, left the lid open until it was going. Dome and grate settled in around 425-450. Once i was happy with the temp, ribs went on.
I was using spare ribs for the cook thinking the fat would help with the high heat. It's in the 40's today so at the 45 minute mark I threw on some more lump and basted the ribs with Parkay. This maintained the ribs at the same temp for the duration. Everything open top and bottom.
The ribs got seasoned with another trial spice that @wessonjb had used for his mayo ribeye's, the midnight expresso by Tango spice company. It was very good on the ribeye and I've seen it on some y/t channels I watch so first go with it on some ribs. It worked great. It didn't burn with the high heat, the ribs stayed moist, except the flap meat from the back, they burned up.
I checked them around 1 3/4 hour mark. They were probing nice but not just yet. Gave them another 15 minutes, slid in and out easily, so 2 hours total and they probed tender. Sauced and let that set up for a couple minutes then pulled.
I'd say it was a total success. They have a different texture than low and slow ribs, but I really enjoyed the flavor profile and slight crunch or char, for lack of better word, they give. I left the membrane on, just scored, as to help them hold together and that added to the texture as @HoosierKettle said it did on his ribs.
A couple thoughts and questions. Anyone do bb's with this method? I used a low sugar rub for the possible burn. Anyone try a high sugar rub? And, don't sauce to early. It doesn't take long for the sauce to set up.
I'll definitely be doing these more often for times where 5-6 hours won't allow, and keep my low and slow, cleaning garage, drinking beer all afternoon ribs too. It was about 3 hours from the time I lighted the coals to the time I was eating the ribs.
Here some pics. No pretty plating, or special garnishes. Down and dirty pics.

Have a good one fella's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:21:59 AM by Travis »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Trying the hot and fast ribs
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »
They look great. I did baby back on my last cook that I posted pictures of ribs. I used killer hogs or weber rub like I normally do. It didn't burn but I don't know if that's high or low sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 11:45:11 AM »
I think I'm cooking more in the 375 range though

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 11:54:34 AM »
Those look great @Travis . I'm actually liking the hot and fast method. It makes for great ribs anytime.

bcjustin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 03:06:55 PM »
Nice those look great! Did you put sauce on the bottom? The last rack I did was fairly dry on the bottom, but I didn't baste the under. I like the idea of just scoring the membrane to keep them together.

22" One Touch Redhead

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Trying the hot and fast ribs
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:51:42 PM »
No, I didn't. I just basted the top, but I'm not sure basting the bottom would help. I don't know, maybe I should try sometime too.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 04:00:13 PM by Travis »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:41:22 PM »
Glad it was a success for you too. I like to trim the flap and grill it as a chefs snack.
Still need a 22” yellow

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 04:41:53 AM »
Been meaning to ask what you thought about the midnight espresso ? Also , I got one rack of BB and read the hot and fast few days ago and trying them out tomorrow. Does anyone soak BB in a wet brine ? Found a marinade from Myron Mixon I'm going to try with the hot and fast. Let you know how they turned out

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 05:52:56 AM »
Been meaning to ask what you thought about the midnight espresso ? Also , I got one rack of BB and read the hot and fast few days ago and trying them out tomorrow. Does anyone soak BB in a wet brine ? Found a marinade from Myron Mixon I'm going to try with the hot and fast. Let you know how they turned out

Yeah man, I like that rub quite a bit. The coffee tones are really something.
I've never brined ribs before. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 08:43:17 AM »
I've never thought of cookingthe ribs hot and fast.  On my list now.  I'm thinking Sunday for football.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
You'll like them. I always used to do ribs low & slow but then I was turned on to hot & fast.... I like it a lot. OK, they're not quite as smokey as low & slow, but they are damn might fine eatin'