Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone Refill 1lb Performer Gas Tanks  (Read 3510 times)

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
Anyone Refill 1lb Performer Gas Tanks
« on: November 27, 2016, 05:45:53 PM »
I just ordered one of those adapters and was wondering if anyone refills their own?  Any tips, tricks, things to do/not to do.  Seems pretty straight forward to me but figured I would ask.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anyone Refill 1lb Performer Gas Tanks
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »
Not really an answer to your question I know.  I just get my propane guy to refill mine for about 5- 10 bucks when he fills my 20# tanks.

Sent from an Atari 2600

SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 08:59:27 PM »
Javahog R U talking about the 5lb. tank or the little green camping cylinder?
A propane shop can't fill the greenies.

I have the adapter but have not tried it out yet.  High on my
must do soon list.  One touch has been getting a workout
and getting low on green tanks.  Though they do seem to
last for quite a long time.  Rarely takes longer than a 2 or 3
minute burn to do the job.

Loads of vids online.  A scale seems to be an absolute must for safety.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 09:07:42 PM »
Sorry I was talking about the 5 lb white tank on my old SS performer. The adaptor you guys are talking about is to fill the green tanks. Never mind my mistake.

Sent from an Atari 2600

SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:27:36 PM »
Are we talking about filling 5-lbs tanks from a 20 ??
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 06:07:48 AM »
No, filling 1lb tanks from a 20 is what I was referring to.

Dave O

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 06:19:15 AM »
I have the adaptor and use it to fill mine, just put the green tank in the freezer for about 15 minutes before you fill.
Also do not store them after you fill them put it right on the grill, I have found some of them will develop a small leak if left standing.
Do not overfill this will also cause it to leak.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 08:57:01 PM »
@Jeepin79 , I refill mine all the time. No need to freeze or any of that. What you need is that adapter and a pair of curved hemostats. With Large tank upright, screw in adapter and then screw on small bottle. screw the 1# bottle on until the bleeder valve is in the 4 oclock position if you were to look at it. clamp the hemostat onto the little stem inside the beeder opening. turn the whole get up upside down. Now reach under and open the valve on the large tank, try not to make a lot of unnecessary movement, it will cause you to think the little bottle is full because propane will bleed out, push the hemostat so that your PULLING that stem "up"...it will start hissing, eventually liquid propane will "blow" out of it, at that point let the stem back down, close the handle on the large tank and your done. If I remember right a full tank weighs 830 or 870 grams. I have to look. I use a scale to check mine. That should get ya going.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »
@Jeepin79 , I refill mine all the time. No need to freeze or any of that. What you need is that adapter and a pair of curved hemostats. With Large tank upright, screw in adapter and then screw on small bottle. screw the 1# bottle on until the bleeder valve is in the 4 oclock position if you were to look at it. clamp the hemostat onto the little stem inside the beeder opening. turn the whole get up upside down. Now reach under and open the valve on the large tank, try not to make a lot of unnecessary movement, it will cause you to think the little bottle is full because propane will bleed out, push the hemostat so that your PULLING that stem "up"...it will start hissing, eventually liquid propane will "blow" out of it, at that point let the stem back down, close the handle on the large tank and your done. If I remember right a full tank weighs 830 or 870 grams. I have to look. I use a scale to check mine. That should get ya going.

Thanks for the info, I ordered the adapter so I will be ready to go.  I dont have any empty tanks at the moment so I will have to wait to give it a try. 

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 09:05:59 PM »
@jeepin79, I will try to do a demo video in the next couple days and show you exactly what I'm talking about...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 09:25:36 PM »
@Jeepin79, I will try to do a demo video in the next couple days and show you exactly what I'm talking about...

Awesome, thanks.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
No problem

larkshall

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 09:29:19 AM »
It's quite common here in the uk narrow boat community, we usually refuel at car filling stations from the lpg pumps, nobody wants to pay refill cylinder charges charged by calor

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 10:56:03 AM »
you guys are crazy , propane is scary ,have a family friend whose body would have been burnt 100 % if not for the cowboy boots he was wearing ! mind boggling searing heat is produced in an instant . just saying.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 11:06:43 AM »
You don't use propane?