Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roti failure  (Read 2215 times)

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Roti failure
« on: November 24, 2016, 09:39:46 AM »
I had big plans but had to abandon ship after the second mishap.  I do not have the official Weber roti...it's a hybrid of an older Weber roti ring and clearance brinkman one size fits all spit/motor/parts kit. It has served me well with chickens.  The best chickens I have ever cooked I will add.  But the 12lb turkey was no chicken.  I could not balance it for more than 5 minutes using the ghetto rig vice-gripe weight, and the set screws on the time slip like a bitch and it was over.

I dismounted the bird, removed the ring, and plopped it in a pan back on the grill.  I think it will still taste awesome, just not as awesome as a spun turkey. Oh well, adaptation is the only way.  And now a Full Weber roti kit is on the xmas list.
Dry brined Tuesday night

This morning trussed and loaded on the spit

Now safe in a life raft and about 45 minutes from 160/done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Roti failure
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »
Looks beautiful!!!... now all that's left is to eat, get fat and happy and wonder what could have been...... and hope for Weber roti Black Friday deal!!... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 10:19:29 AM »
Nice save man! Adapt and overcome!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 05:25:01 PM »
The turkey was killer[emoji109] Not just really good.  That's according to many in attendance that had no clue who made it.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 07:58:37 PM »

@blksabbath- Nice save.   You should have no problems with the rotisserie once you get a Weber or one that has a square spit instead of round. I did a 24 lb'er today on my rotisserie. 

Here is a great tutorial video on the correct way to truss a turkey.  I did not know until recently that the placements of the forks is important also for balance and correct cooking.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you%20tube%20rotisserie%20turkey&&view=detail&mid=473C0A5B641E259AE78A473C0A5B641E259AE78A&rvsmid=473C0A5B641E259AE78A473C0A5B641E259AE78A&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 04:52:14 AM »
Grate save!
You have learned a valuable lesson, always have a spare motor. I had a refresher this year when an old cheapo motor quit. I got my spare and saved the day.
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 03:31:59 PM »

You have learned a valuable lesson, always have a spare motor. I had a refresher this year when an old cheapo motor quit. I got my spare and saved the day.

I do not have a spare but learned the value of having one yesterday.  A friend called me frantically yesterday morning saying her rotisserie motor quit working, 1 hour into spinning her Thanksgiving turkey. I drove over to her house and found a spare motor for her gas Genisis. We swapped out the motor and she was back in business after I re-secured the turkey to the spit. I think its flopping was partly due to the motor failure.  After returning home, I spent the next 4 hours checking my bird every 20 minutes to make sure it was turning on the rotisserie. I will be looking for a spare motor now for the peace of mind of knowing I have one if needed.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 06:07:36 PM »
I about had the same situation happen today for me and my families turkey day feast. I was setting the kettle up, put on the roti ring,  plugged in the motor, hit he switch and nothing...Tried a different outlet and nothing still. I had the coals already lighting at this time so I took the motor housing off, wiggled wires, tapped coils and moving parts, of course gave it the old shake and swear method then finally gave the little drive mechanism thingy a spin and it took off! But, it did sound different from before. It got me through the cook just fine, but I'll be calling Weber cs and finding that backup.