Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Christmas Steak  (Read 1697 times)

Rondo

• WKC Brave
Christmas Steak
« on: November 25, 2016, 07:32:22 AM »
The family has decided this year to do steaks instead of the traditional. Just want to get some good ideas for grilling steak. Temps, time, so forth. I've got experience with slow cooks but not very successful with steak.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Christmas Steak
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 07:58:51 AM »
How many people? What kind of steak are you thinking of using? You've got choices. Tri tip roast are always a good choice for parties because the end of the roast are more done than the center. I like a more rare steak where others in my family prefer medium. If not readily available in your area, your butcher can cut it fresh.
Another route could be a bone in ribeye or if enough people will be eating a rib roast. Prime grade if possible, well marbled choice cut too, but be picky when choosing.
For any of those cuts a reverse sear method would be recommended and DEFINITELY monitored with a probe. No need to overcook an expensive cut of meat because we didn't want to use a probe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 08:22:33 AM by Travis »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Christmas Steak
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 08:20:05 AM »
You tube is your friend, my friend

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Christmas Steak
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
This is yesterday-
Set up the kettle for snake method cooking where we light about a dozen briquettes and once they are going we put them on the start of the fuse or snake and let the coals work their way around the bowl for a low and slow cook  rather than what you’d do with a steak, searing it directly over high heat.

To prepare the roasts, I slathered them with EVOO and cut six slits in the top of each roast, inserting cloves of garlic.  Then a generous rubbing of Montreal steak seasoning all over.  Placing the roasts over tin pans to collect the drippings for gravy offset of the coals and also adding about a cup of water to each pan to keep a moist cooking environment inside the kettle.
Apple chunks and cherry wood chips for smoke.  Key is the temperature probes that will tell us the temp inside the kettle and more importantly the temps inside each roast.  We’re looking to cook at a grate temp about 275 degrees and pull the roasts off when they hit 125 internally for a nice rare roast.
The Roasts Go on at 9:49AM:

20161124_094944-01.jpeg
Haven’t had to adjust the vents once, this is because of the snake method.  Only so many coals are going at a time as it works it’s way around the bowl.  For this cook 95% of the time grate temp was between 264-279.
We’re starting to get some nice color at this point but we’ve got a ways to go.
20161124_122717-01.jpeg
12:27 We’ve got the temps right where we want them and she’s looking spectacular-
20161124_122456-01.jpeg20161124_122656-01.jpeg
At this point we take out the temp probes and give each roast a slow roll directly over the coals to firm up that outer bark ring and then onto the platter under a very loose foil tent.
20161124_134204-01.jpeg
Let it rest for an hour and collected any of the juices that ran out for the gravy.  Just what we were looking for- edge to edge pink!  No gray outer ring.  A perfectly even cook.
20161124_150952-01.jpeg
This is a really easy cook.  Just follow the pictures above and you can do this easily too.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Rondo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 10:41:15 AM »
Most likely would be filet mignon and or ribeyes. Should have probably said that earlier. I will have to you tube some reverse seat methods on you tube.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »
I'm not a reverse sear fan myself. I tend to over cook with that method, and don't see any benefit. Part of searing is locking in the juices.
Still need a 22” yellow