Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber is watching.  (Read 4507 times)

bear

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber is watching.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 03:05:23 AM »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 04:54:54 AM »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 05:06:36 AM »
Oh my gosh! Look how the handle is turned the correct direction and the ash pan is just lift and turn to attach. The two worst design changes Weber has made to date in my opinion. Go back to the old way. If George was around bet he would fix that.

AnotherPintPlease

• Smokey Joe
    • Another Pint Please
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 06:36:11 AM »
Thanks, @pbe gummi bear & @demosthenes9! You guys were right on!

@CharliefromLI, Through the blog I've had some latitude, mostly by accident, but I try to always incorporate the Weber Way (Oil the food, not the grates and gloves...I always make sure I'm wearing gloves!). I had another turkey post from last year where the baskets were situated the same way and with the Performer, I've always used the chimney to fill the baskets. Conversely, on the SCG, the coals can go straight on the grate or in the baskets. Take my word for it, Weber is very curious as to what everyone thinks, especially from the solid minds and experienced grillers here. I know they pay close attention.

In regards to yours and @Vwbuggin64's question about the coals, this was only a 14-pound bird, so with the vents gated down to maintain 350-375, I was able to go on one load at temp for the 2 3/4 hour cook. You are absolutely right, though, anything longer would have called for a modified minion, my preference, or more coals later on. In fact, when I put these together, I think of you all, as I know you will look at any cook with a critical eye. While WKC isn't exactly the target group for a basic turkey like this, I'm curious if there are any video topics you might find useful or interesting. I'm always looking for ideas!

Cheers!
Mike

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 07:03:38 AM »
Thanks for the video. We celebrate thanksgiving at the in laws and they do a few deep fried turkeys. I have never done a turkey and I plan on doing this the morning of and just keeping it so we finally have leftovers. I'll use this method. Looks relatively quick and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 07:08:55 AM »

@CharliefromLI, Through the blog I've had some latitude, mostly by accident, but I try to always incorporate the Weber Way (Oil the food, not the grates and gloves...I always make sure I'm wearing gloves!). I had another turkey post from last year where the baskets were situated the same way and with the Performer, I've always used the chimney to fill the baskets. Conversely, on the SCG, the coals can go straight on the grate or in the baskets. Take my word for it, Weber is very curious as to what everyone thinks, especially from the solid minds and experienced grillers here. I know they pay close attention.

In regards to yours and @Vwbuggin64's question about the coals, this was only a 14-pound bird, so with the vents gated down to maintain 350-375, I was able to go on one load at temp for the 2 3/4 hour cook. You are absolutely right, though, anything longer would have called for a modified minion, my preference, or more coals later on. In fact, when I put these together, I think of you all, as I know you will look at any cook with a critical eye. While WKC isn't exactly the target group for a basic turkey like this, I'm curious if there are any video topics you might find useful or interesting. I'm always looking for ideas!

Cheers!
Mike

@AnotherPintPlease Great video and great response. Its great that a club member made the video for weber.

As for the target audience, I think there are definitely club members looking for this. I think each year there are seasoned kettle vets who finally try to tackle a thanksgiving turkey.

The kettle fans facebook group even more so.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 11:49:31 AM »

Cheers!
Mike

@AnotherPintPlease Great video and great response. Its great that a club member made the video for weber.

As for the target audience, I think there are definitely club members looking for this. I think each year there are seasoned kettle vets who finally try to tackle a thanksgiving turkey.

I'll be popping my turkey cherry next week, myself. Still trying to wrap my head around how much faster they seem to go, as opposed to an oven.
Still need a 22” yellow

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2016, 12:13:14 PM »

Cheers!
Mike

I'll be popping my turkey cherry next week, myself. Still trying to wrap my head around how much faster they seem to go, as opposed to an oven.

You won't be disappointed. One trick someone gave me that's word well was to cook the bird upside down for the first hour. That gives the dark meat the extra keys it needs and protects the breast from getting over Done

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »
To be more on topic, I cut the back bone out of my last turkey used it to make soup. The broth reduced some during the cook and concentrated the flavor. I was really surprised at how good it was. I spatchcocked the bird and only used one char basket. Ok if you don't need the presentation. I did reload the coals if I remember correctly.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2016, 01:19:46 PM »
For a long time, Many of us have thought that clearly weber monitors this site.

Their latest turkey cook video suggests this as well

https://www.facebook.com/weberbbq/videos/10154277329703422/

There's a few things here:

1. Using gas assist to light chimney instead just lighting the coal Baskets directly which weber traditionally suggested.

2. The basket placement at one end pac-man style as opposed to the traditional parallel postition.

It's great to see that weber listens to its customers and is willing to evolve.

The only thing I notice that club folks would do is start with more unlit coal under the lit so it cooks high temp minion style without reloading. Weber still suggests adding coals hourly. Maybe that will be the 2017 video :)

Is the gas assist really worth it? I just bought 2 performers and was wondering how long the small canisters last? I was thinking the cubes and a chimney would suffice

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Well another thought is how long do the cubes last (how many starts per box) I can get at least 50 starts if not more and in bought gour canisters for ten bucks .
So cost and quanuty if starts ?
Yes it worth it and les hassle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

KenB

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 04:05:44 PM »
Going to do my first kettle bird this year.  Am I making a big mistake if I put the baskets parallel as opposed to Pac Man?  I'm asking because I figure adding fuel will be easier if I take advantage of the hinged grates. Planning on using Black Diamond Car Wood for fuel. Been loving it lately.