Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ...So how long have you been doing that RRR thing??  (Read 1099 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
...So how long have you been doing that RRR thing??
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:41:13 AM »
It was around 2006 that I had been boning up on WSM techniques and I was all over CL looking for bullets and kettles for UDS's when I spied a 22" Homer for $20. It had been posted for at least a week before I inquired on the TVWBB site about the rarity of said kettle? The response was off the charts, then someone mentioned that RED's had been discontinued and thats when I jumped on the RRR bandwagon.

Here is a post from 2008 on kettle restorations, but I started half assed collecting shortly after 2006. Red UDS's started shortly after.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39009&highlight=Red+Weber+swamprb

Whats your story??
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: ...So how long have you been doing that RRR thing??
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:22:12 AM »
I wish I would have been taught about real Q on a kettle a long time ago. We had a gasser that was nearly dead so googling led me to the WKC forums. My fear was the time spent getting charcoal ready and learning how to actually cook on a grill. Started with an AH crimson performer and then it began. Searched CL for more reds and eventually landed a red SSP, red MT and a couple of other kettles. I wouldn't grill any other way now.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
...So how long have you been doing that RRR thing??
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »
Not much of a story here. I had been grilling hot dogs, hamburgers and pork steaks since my early twenties on a economy black that I had bought new for my dad's house. Once I had kids and stopped running the town I started cooking more things and found I really enjoyed cooking on Webers. Found this site this year actually looking more for recipes,the name caught my attention, and then "webertitis" set in once I realized what this site is really all about. Or at least what it's about for me.  Less than a year I'm up I think about 10 or 11 kettles with another looming [emoji6] and love it. I've really only got cookers for now, but I'd like to start collecting some lookers. This is a great forum with great members. Happy to be apart of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:49:07 AM by Travis »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 08:50:25 AM »
I done my first repair in 02, one leg rusted through and damn near wrecked a rib roast.

Never was a collector but did have a great time picking up kettles for a few years before they got popular.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »
I started when my OT Silver had seen better days and was researching what I wanted to replace it with. I couldn't afford a new Performer, so kept on using what I had. I found the WKC, while Googling around looking for any info I could, regarding Weber grills. I did some reading and got out the razor blades and steel wool, so it began for me...that was almost three years ago. I have revived quite a few kettles since then, but have narrowed it down to ones I will actually use. I still have the bones of my first CL acquired Weber... a Gen 2 Performer...it sure has changed quite a bit over the last couple years  ;D   

As of right now, for me, cooking with these awesome backyard icons is what I look forward to most every day. I still look every day for that rare kettle though!     
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:06:02 PM by Jason »