Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Flavored briquettes?  (Read 2668 times)

bcjustin

• Smokey Joe
Flavored briquettes?
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:58:13 AM »
What is everyone's favorite briquettes to use? I just picked up a couple bags of Kingsford Applewood and Hickory. Anyone else tried these? I have a couple bags of lump hardwood as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
22" One Touch Redhead

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Flavored briquettes?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:26:20 AM »
I tried the Kingsford hickory last year after picking it up on sale end of season.  Liked it.
I'm no charcoal snob.
Only thing I won't use is the stuff that has the lighter fluid in it.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »
I've only used Stubbs. Love how clean it burns and low ash. Only thing is I feel like I have to use 1.5 chimney worth to get real hot searing heat. Do the Kingsford flavored or Kingsford Professional briquettes burn hotter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bcjustin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 11:42:08 AM »
I used a bag of the Kingsford Professional briquettes when I did a brisket because the bag claimed the burned longer. I don't think I noticed a difference.  I had a chimney full of the hickory burning over 500 degrees over the weekend. I enjoyed them. I'll give Stubbs a try. I think I'd have to order them, don't know that any of my local stores carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
22" One Touch Redhead

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 11:56:51 AM »
I've only used Stubbs. Love how clean it burns and low ash. Only thing is I feel like I have to use 1.5 chimney worth to get real hot searing heat. Do the Kingsford flavored or Kingsford Professional briquettes burn hotter?

I don't play close enough attention to ash left behind. Only thing I can tell that burns noticeably hotter is lump

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 12:08:17 PM »
I run kbb and Stubbs. Stubbs for s&l cooks and kbb for everyday use.
Fella's will start posting when holiday sales start happening and most of us will stock up for the year then.
Haven't tried "flavored" briqs. I'll just throw on a chunk of wood for the cook.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 12:11:23 PM »
Lowes carries Stubbs. I think I'll pick up a bag of Kingsford apple on the way home

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Mrennis84

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »
I only use Stubbs

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 06:04:02 PM »
I made pork chops tonight using Kingsford Applewood briquettes. Other than a lot of smoke and a longer time to light the chimney I liked them. They burned hot and there was plenty of fuel left after my cook. Makes me want to try KBB to see if they really smell bad or not. I do like my Stubbs though.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 06:15:20 PM »
I run kbb and Stubbs. Stubbs for s&l cooks and kbb for everyday use.
Fella's will start posting when holiday sales start happening and most of us will stock up for the year then.
Haven't tried "flavored" briqs. I'll just throw on a chunk of wood for the cook.

What  @travis said
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:17:50 PM by jeffrackmo »
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 06:38:38 PM »
tried the hickory briqs once and couldn't stand them. too overpowering of a smoke, not even close to thin-blue flavor.
Probably work best if mixed with normal briqs.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 07:19:04 AM »
Mel's Gourmet Apricot & Rosemary Pellets
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

bstarr3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 07:07:56 AM »
Cooked my thanksgiving bird with 50/50 kbb professional and Kingsford Applewood. Nice subtle smokiness, not overpowering for the poultry.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk