Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: We're weird  (Read 4002 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
We're weird
« on: November 14, 2016, 07:08:09 PM »
I'm glad I have you people for support, because we're kind of weird people lol

I don't really bring it up, but for some reason my wife and family always likes to say to people, "tell them how many bbq's you have." uhhh ahhhh ummm. I've got a couple.

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: We're weird
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:22:53 PM »
No, We're normal... everyone else is weird.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 07:59:07 PM »
nothing weird about appreciating something that works day after day year after year and is as versatile as your imagination. when folks start talking about grilling/bbq'ing, my wife always says "he likes weber". often that leads to a conversation where i extol the benefits of weber usage/ownership. there are generally two reactions...folks either want to know more or try to tell me what a weber can't do(to which, i explain how to do precisely that using a weber). folks in the first camp are usually impressed at the versatility when you explain the how and why. folks in the second camp usually try to find a "but what about x-scenario" they think will trip me up. aside from capacity(smoker wise) they almost never have a leg to stand on. dollar for dollar, webers are the best deal going. it isn't until you're talking high dollar equipment(insulated cabinets, large offsets...etc) that the webers fail to shine. and even then it is only the capacity to cook larger amounts of meat that has them beating out a weber.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:01:42 PM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
With me being on this forum.. I find that I seem to be the weird one only owning one weber grill (for now). Some of you have many grills and beautiful collections.

I'd love to find a vintage Key Lime next.. but I have yet to see one for sale.

I did just find an "Elegant Fare" cookbook for Weber Kettle grills that matches the year of my 1977 22.5"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:06:27 PM by james1787 »
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 08:04:12 PM »
nothing weird about appreciating something that works day after day year after year and is as versatile as your imagination. when folks start talking about grilling/bbq'ing, my wife always says "he likes weber". often that leads to a conversation where i extol the benefits of weber usage/ownership. there are generally two reactions...folks either want to know more or try to tell me what a weber can't do(to which, i explain how to do precisely that using a weber). folks in the first camp are usually impressed at the versatility when you explain the how and why. folks in the second camp usually try to find a "but what about x-scenario" they think will trip me up. aside from capacity(smoker wise) they almost never have a leg to stand on. dollar for dollar, webers are the best deal going. it isn't until you're talking high dollar equipment(insulated cabinets, large offsets...etc) that the webers fail to shine. and even then it is only the capacity to cook larger amounts of meat that has them beating out a weber.

It has nothing to do about how great Weber's are. More about the excess of Weber's a lot of us have.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 08:07:12 PM »
Yeah, you are weird!!! No worries though, we'll help you become normal.

Welcome to the madness.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
We're weird
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 08:33:05 PM »
BUNCH OF WEIRDO'S!!!!! [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
My wife's friends and family always get a kick out of coming in the garage to see my grills or the big stack of charcoal I have. My uncle visited a couple years ago and ate food daily off my kettles, said it was some of the best BBQ he ever ate. He has a big Kettle collection now and is still looking for more!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 01:47:22 AM »
Strangely my lovely bride to be has come to accept it.  In the beginning when there was a STOK kettle, two gassers, a Black OTG and A Performer in the back yard, not-so-much.  But now that everything is gone except beautiful Webers and after turning a few for nice profits, she sort of gets it.  She actually even forwarded one to me the other day.  Couldn't believe it.

I'm looking forward to bringing the Blue SSP, the Red O Code Kettle home from the dock and after cleaning up the Simpsons kettle taking a photo with the Crimson and Grass green performers at the house. Might be this year's Christmas card.

Two lines-
"There's worse things to be obsessed with"
"Do I ever bust your chops about your pocketbook or shoe collection?"
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 03:38:37 AM »
My wife sometimes acts a bit agrivated with me about this, but she doesn't mind eating the food I cook. She doesn't hesitate to volunteer me to grill 20lbs of chicken for meetings she has. Or cooking salmon for 35 on a single ots when in California.

I kindly remind her that my hobby is inexpensive and she is the beneficiary of my insanity. "I could be into collecting classic shotguns, or fishing gear, or hand painted duck decoys, or start building a race car, or cheating on you." Your choice honey..
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 04:34:32 AM »
Well... Mrs. Grilfella is helping me restore the RedHead SSP.  Her comment was... At least I know where you are... :)  We installed the new burner tube assembly last night.  We test fired it and as expected... Voila!!  Her response.. That was fun!!!  She gets it... totally.... 

But yes.  I talk about a few things... My Kids, Grand kids and my Webers... All 13 of em....

Grill on!!! 

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 07:22:11 AM »

Well, if I am weird, I am spreading the weirdness.  I have now provided a multitude of friends and family with Weber scores from CL. Most of these folks had no interest in charcoal BBQ before but have since been converted. And the ones that already owned a Weber are on a request list for me to clean and restore their kettles.

My friend Ron passed away last year and his wife finally found the courage to clean out the garage. She contacted me and asked if I was interested in his Weber kettle.  I picked it up, restored it, bought new grates and put a Zav handle on it. I surprised her by returning it back to her, cooking steaks on it for her and her daughter. They were quite emotional but very appreciative.  I am happy to say she is now using it and cherishes the kettle  Ron was so proud of.

I am OK with being weird I guess.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 07:36:50 AM »
I'm a long time "Grill Nerd" but recent addition here.
The folks here are more like minded than any forum
I've been a member of.

And my friends always thought I was out there.
Seems there's a lot of us out here lookin' back. 8)

-Rob

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 07:44:28 AM »
I by no means am highly skilled in restorations but I look forward to teaching my son about restoring an old grill and what that means. Teaching him about value, worth, patience, and respect as it pertains to our possessions and of our time that we have here on earth. Not to sound too deep or philosophical but it's more than just enameled steel and charcoal. Memories are made all the time with these cookers and they can be used as a good teaching tool. Not to mention that when I'm done cooking on them he will inherit them and appreciate them as I do. My brother was asking questions and kind of giving me shit about it but I said we all have our collections of things. Maybe I'll get a CL cooker and restore it and gift it to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 07:57:54 AM »
"... my wife and family always like to say to people, "tell them how many bbq's you have." "

I get that all the time.
Dude, relax your chicken.