Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cajun Bandit Mini Smoker Joe Mods **MOD Month Marathon!**  (Read 6131 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Cajun Bandit Mini Smoker Joe Mods **MOD Month Marathon!**
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 11:41:09 AM »
That's cool.

One question - with that heavy steel deflector, wouldn't setting the drip pan right on top of that steel cause the drippings to burn and give you nasty greasy smoke?

I'm asking because I had an issue with a corned beef brisket point I was smoking this past summer. It dripped into a pan directly over the fire and I had troubles until I figured out what was happening.

That is a very good question @effinUker!

The disc sits 9" from the charcoal grate and @ 6.5" with a loaded charcoal basket. I've never had any issues in the past with acrid smoke from burning grease like you experienced.

I'm using essentially the same setup in my 22" WSM's and Pellet Poopin' Bullet and use aluminum party platters foiled over as drip pans.

And I usually cook Hot 'n Fast so I aggressively trim fat.

YMMV
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Cajun Bandit Mini Smoker Joe Mods
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »
I was twiterpated by the "LBCF mod" when I asked about fastening them together, probly not going to fasten them if you wana swap to another body.

What is the "LBCF mod"?

The infamous Larry Beercan Fisher UDS mod!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=920042354737110&set=a.646702125404469.1073741829.100001940630405&type=3&theater

The man who makes WKC members shake 'n shiver!

LMAO!!!!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 02:36:54 PM »
Cool mod, can't wait to see so cooks and how it operates!
Top notch work!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 06:08:22 PM »
That's cool.

One question - with that heavy steel deflector, wouldn't setting the drip pan right on top of that steel cause the drippings to burn and give you nasty greasy smoke?

I'm asking because I had an issue with a corned beef brisket point I was smoking this past summer. It dripped into a pan directly over the fire and I had troubles until I figured out what was happening.

That is a very good question @effinUker!

The disc sits 9" from the charcoal grate and @ 6.5" with a loaded charcoal basket. I've never had any issues in the past with acrid smoke from burning grease like you experienced.

I'm using essentially the same setup in my 22" WSM's and Pellet Poopin' Bullet and use aluminum party platters foiled over as drip pans.

And I usually cook Hot 'n Fast so I aggressively trim fat.

YMMV

Works for me! Can't wait to see it working.

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »
Curious how this turned out.

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 06:24:26 AM »
I think I'm going to follow in your foot steps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 08:29:17 AM »
That's pretty awesome. I wanna just do the legs to an sj lol

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 08:44:59 AM »
Lol I added the legs also. Yep pretty simple yet smart idea. Would have never thought about it if I didn't stumble across this thread because I never considered hacking up the grill itself. My main goal is more surface area for say a slab of spare ribs. I still don't think a full slab will fit the 18 inch jumbo joe though. Probably a mini jumbo joe smoker setup with a 22 inch kettle on top would be the best setup but I'm working with what I have. I think I'm under still under 100$.