Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Estate sale rehead  (Read 6357 times)

Cellar2ful

Re: Estate sale rehead
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 06:23:46 PM »
@Cellar2ful So did you ever hear any info on the inside bowl color. Would be intersted in knowing the story. And +1 for keeping the side-table........although a matching exotic wood lid handle and side table from a certain someone might be a nice update. Just sayin'

The lid  handle actually is in great shape.  Just needs a lite sanding and a coat of Hellman's spar varnish. The table top is another story. The guy who mod'd this table had mad skills but a varnish/painter he was not.  I think he just poured a can of varnish on top of the table and let it run/drip off. I will post a picture of the table bottom tomorrow.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2016, 04:16:53 PM »
My 67 Seville has the blue bowl.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 01:14:21 PM »

You can see what I was talking about with the drips of varnish. The builder was not a finish type of guy as there is varnish part way down the aluminum supports.  One is round stock aluminum and the other is angle stock.   

The bowl is in fantastic shape. No crazing anywhere.  Bowl vents cleaned up nicely.                                                                                                                                                                 

Both the lid and bowl cleaned up now.  Before I get beat up, the lid is resting on a pillow, not on the brick wall for this photo.

And finally with the table removed.  It was impossible to try and work on this thing with the table attached. Now I can start working on the legs, triangle and the dreaded ash pan. My repair on the flat tire is great as long as I don't try and roll the kettle. For now I just carry it around like it's disabled.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 01:22:46 PM »
Man it looks like you got the top vent super clean! Nice job

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »
That is sick! Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 02:31:24 PM »
Wow!  Out of curiosity, if you wanted to buy a new triangle and leg kit, would it be plug and play?  Also are they even available as a kit like that?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 03:05:47 PM »
You did amazing clean up job. Looks so clean. Love it!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 03:13:15 PM »
Wow!  Out of curiosity, if you wanted to buy a new triangle and leg kit, would it be plug and play?  Also are they even available as a kit like that?

My understanding is that the new legs are plated, not aluminum.  Fortunately I have donor kettles willing to give up their legs and triangles for transplant if needed.

eReplacements has them:     legs  -   http://www.ereplacementparts.com/leg-kit-p-1475759.html
                                          triangle -  http://www.ereplacementparts.com/triangle-p-1477421.html

Man it looks like you got the top vent super clean! Nice job

Thanks.  I will probably give it a few more rounds of buffing with Rolite as I like the top vent to look like the chrome on an old Ferrari. Love the contrast of the bright finish against the red.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2016, 12:32:42 AM »
Amazing job!!!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2016, 08:21:21 AM »
That looks gorgeous.

Travis