Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Handle disappointment! 22" Jumbo Joe Premium  (Read 4091 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Handle disappointment! 22" Jumbo Joe Premium
« on: October 28, 2016, 07:02:10 PM »
OK, So, I'm going to use the JJP for a drum smoker project, and went to remove the handles to add onto the OTS I'm giving a co-worker, and lo and behold I noticed Weber slipped us the weenie on the bolt on handle frames.

Notice what I'm seeing??

Are all the Taco/bolt on handles like this or is this a JJP thing??

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Handle disappointment! 22" Jumbo Joe Premium
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 07:05:49 PM »
So.... a 90* Phillips drive is in order...
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 05:17:02 AM »

The taco lid handle was pre-assembled for my Ivory MT.  Just had to fasten it to the lid.  So, I think that's how they are for all.

Ya, the only way to remove the plastic handle is to remove the entire lid handle assembly, then remove the "taco" piece.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 10:29:36 AM »

The taco lid handle was pre-assembled for my Ivory MT.  Just had to fasten it to the lid.  So, I think that's how they are for all.

Ya, the only way to remove the plastic handle is to remove the entire lid handle assembly, then remove the "taco" piece.

Yes, all new kettles come with handles like this.  Cleaner looking with no screw hole or screw to get rusty on top is what I am thinking for the new design.  Once the handle assy. is on the lid, they figured no one would mess with it anyways.  Wrong!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:11:09 PM by greenweb »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 04:44:05 PM »

Yes, all new kettles come with handles like this.  Cleaner looking with no screw hole or screw to get rusty on top is what I am thinking for the new design.  Once the handle assy. is on the lid, they figured no one would mess with it anyways.  Wrong!

They are probably also thinking "no more easy swap outs to put on replicas of antique wooden handles." Said some WS engineer.

Just kidding. I never noticed that before..

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 06:23:34 PM »
When I first seen they went to a bolt on handle I started looking around at "other junk" that could be bolted on.

Its kinda like an opportunity to put something that works on it.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 06:53:14 PM »

When I first seen they went to a bolt on handle I started looking around at "other junk" that could be bolted on.

Its kinda like an opportunity to put something that works on it.

Good point. It does lend itself to some easy mods

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 08:31:36 AM »

@swamprb - Discovered this issue when putting a set of Zav's on my 26". No need to remove the handle.  I find these angled screwdrivers meet the challenge Weber created with the new handles. IMHO, the less you mess with those handle bolts, the less chance of cracking porcelain.

There are also ratcheting models available.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »
So.... a 90* Phillips drive is in order...

@swamprb - Discovered this issue when putting a set of Zav's on my 26". No need to remove the handle.  I find these angled screwdrivers meet the challenge Weber created with the new handles. IMHO, the less you mess with those handle bolts, the less chance of cracking porcelain.

There are also ratcheting models available.

Yes. I used the 90* Phillips to mount the handles to the 2012 AU OTS.  My 26.75" OTG had the Taco handle, but the bowl handle screws in from the front.

Another thing that pisses me off is the new style bowl handle brackets don't have pegs for the wooden handles - they spin unless you do some drilling and modding.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »
Another thing that pisses me off is the new style bowl handle brackets don't have pegs for the wooden handles - they spin unless you do some drilling and modding.

What drilling/modding did you have to do to make wooden handles work?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »

Suppose it's not completely necessary, but, I did THIS.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »
I just unscrewed the handle of the lid. It isn't that difficult

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 08:21:04 PM »

MacEggs beat me to it!

Suppose it's not completely necessary, but, I did THIS.

Yes, that is what I meant!

I just unscrewed the handle of the lid. It isn't that difficult

Well DUH! But we wanted to add to an older handle bracket that is welded.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 04:56:25 AM »
My bad. I didn't realize that. Just reread the original post.