Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: H clip style ash sweeper dis-assembly  (Read 5391 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
H clip style ash sweeper dis-assembly
« on: July 23, 2012, 07:47:39 AM »
I have only ever had the hex nut style ash sweep handle assembly.

I just picked up an OTG (pics later).  It has the H clip style.  Teh assembly does NOT have much rust and moves freely and I can jiggle the handle a bit, but for the life of me I cannot remove the handle.  I can see the notch in the H clip, but there appears to be no corresponding bump on the rod.  what am I doing wrong - I am sure this should be obvious.

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: H clip style ash sweeper dis-assembly
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »
Never mind.  The rod handle was turned 180 degrees(as it shoud be) and NOT rusted together, but it just really did not want to turn in to the unlock position. More than a few hammer taps (I was worried about breakade) and then pryin the handle 180 degrees (again, I put a lot of stress on it) and it finally came free.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »
Pics or it didn't happen ::) ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:42:31 AM »
Same thing happened to me.  Now my handle spins I was never able to get it tight back into that slot.  It works fine, just bugs me

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »
I really prefer the hex nut style...

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
Happened.

::)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
Same thing happened to me.  Now my handle spins I was never able to get it tight back into that slot.  It works fine, just bugs me

Brian
Weird :-\

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 05:45:01 AM »
The little tab doesn't snap into the "H" on that bottom clip, the tab prob got worn off when I was struggling to remove it.

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 02:25:35 PM »
Bringing this back from the dead because I'm having the exact same issue but can't really decipher what the solution was.

My handle is not stuck or rusted because it moves freely for a cm or two, but wont pull out.  I see the 'keyhole' in the tab, but don't see anywhere on the rod that fits through there.  The handle also won't twist at all.

Where did you tap with a hammer?  Where were you prying?

Thanks!
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 02:43:42 PM »
Happened.

::)
Oooh...nice.
Is that stainless ?

Somewhere there's nice Weber diagram of how to remove the H-drive ash sweep system.
It should be in the How-To sticky.....maybe it is ?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 03:20:58 PM »
Bringing this back from the dead because I'm having the exact same issue but can't really decipher what the solution was.

My handle is not stuck or rusted because it moves freely for a cm or two, but wont pull out.  I see the 'keyhole' in the tab, but don't see anywhere on the rod that fits through there.  The handle also won't twist at all.

Thanks!

When installing, the handle turns around a certain amount after the tab is thru the little keyhole........make sense so far?

After that "certain amount", it locks into the underside of the little plate......

If it won't move enough to unlock & then be able to back up out of the keyhole, you may have to turn it with a screwdriver thru the loop of the handle, gently, but enough to loosen things up.......

Hope all that makes sense.............. :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »

Thanks!

When installing, the handle turns around a certain amount after the tab is thru the little keyhole........make sense so far?

After that "certain amount", it locks into the underside of the little plate......

If it won't move enough to unlock & then be able to back up out of the keyhole, you may have to turn it with a screwdriver thru the loop of the handle, gently, but enough to loosen things up.......

I'm breathin' cherry smoke (dinosaur ribs) and drinkin' beer right now, so none of this makes sense, mate.

;D

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »
Stick a standard screwdriver between the sweeper handle and the round spacer. Turn the screwdriver 1/8 turn. This unlocks the handle from the spacer. Give the ash sweeper handle 1/2 turn and you will able to pull it out without much effort.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 04:57:11 PM »

Thanks!

I'm breathin' cherry smoke (dinosaur ribs) and drinkin' beer right now, so none of this makes sense, mate.

;D

Welp......hopefully GC8 is still sitting upright & can use the info.......maybe we can go over this later for those less than inclined to follow along?

But, the real question is:
Are you wearing lederhosen like Winz?

Oh, here we go.....straight to the point by someone whose done this more than once !!!!
Thanks, Hatch !!!!!

Stick a standard screwdriver between the sweeper handle and the round spacer. Turn the screwdriver 1/8 turn. This unlocks the handle from the spacer. Give the ash sweeper handle 1/2 turn and you will able to pull it out without much effort.
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »
The diagram is in this thread: weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/one-touch-cleaning-kit/
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791