Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Storage of Kettles  (Read 1639 times)

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
Storage of Kettles
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:37:44 PM »
I am in the early stages of my Weberitis affliction.  I have my regular users and then there are the grills I have acquired because I "need" them.  I stand a much better chance of continuing to acquire kettles (unnoticed) if I can store them efficiently. 

So I'm looking to the experts here.......how do you store your kettles or smokers when they're not in use? 

Do you take the legs off and put them on a shelf?  Looking for clever options......like IKEA clever.  Thoughts?

Whit

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
Re: Storage of Kettles
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »
I'm a firm believer in the "forest for the trees" storage system.  There's a tipping point where your collection becomes large enough that Wifey can no longer keep track of inventory coming in or going out.  When you get there you shall find peace.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 01:16:19 PM »
I have a couple different areas to hide grills.
When all of the hiding spots are filled and grills start to spill out, i swap them around often - that way from my wife's perspective they're always moving and she doesn't ever see everything all together.

this is also why i haven't done an updated family portrait in a long time.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 01:36:02 PM »
Don't have pics handy (or remember specifically who did it) but I saw someone use big screw in hooks like you would use for bicycles or lawn tools to hang them up on the walls..........

Terry Landgraftj has a bunch of Smokeys & 18's & 22's also so he's big on storage solutions....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/smokey-joes-and-such/msg97578/#msg97578

Also Harbormaster's WSM & kettles take some thought for the stowing away....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/as-promised-pics-of-recent-scores-and-projects/msg59030/#msg59030

Build up, if you have the area to do so.............

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

coffeeld

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:08:44 AM »
I for one am glad to hear that I'm not the only one with grills hidden from the wife. I thought I was losing my mind, but am comforted to find out that if I have in fact lost my mind, that I'm not alone.

I also like Troy's Weber Grill shell game approach--I'm going to shift a few things around so I can start slowly integrating my "off the record" grills with the grills that I ran through the typical "wife approval" protocols. :)

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 05:27:27 PM »
FYI -
The rafters (trusses) in your garage are an effective place to "hide" grills that were acquired outside of approved protocols or without a PO.
A little scrap wood between trusses and a guy could theoretically hide upwards of a couple dozen grills.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 05:38:06 PM »
FYI -
The rafters (trusses) in your garage are an effective place to "hide" grills that were acquired outside of approved protocols or without a PO.
A little scrap wood between trusses and a guy could theoretically hide upwards of a couple dozen grills.

LMAO!