Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first Cappy Hooker!  (Read 1846 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
My first Cappy Hooker!
« on: September 21, 2016, 03:36:42 PM »
Have never seen these Weber clones in person....this one is in very good shape. Seller (older than me even) said it was given to him (used) by his F-i-L 20 yrs ago, put in the shed and never cooked on.

The internal ash catcher setup seems counter-intuitive, as if enough air can't get in there for high temps. HC owners, tell me about your grill please!

Couple ques.:

Are these bolts/wing nuts OEM? The smaller socket hole is square, which makes me think otherwise.

What's w/ the semi-squared-off lid vent hole (pic #4) and bowl vent hole (pic #5)? Is that typical?

About what year is this thing?

Here it is, unclean:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:42:31 PM by charred »
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
My first Cappy Hooker!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 04:42:30 PM »
Welcome to the HC subculture. "Cappy Hooker" really had some cool ideas, like the internal ash pan. Never had an airflow/temp. issue the few times I've used mine, but I've never attempted pizza temps. on them.

The wing nuts are factory, but the screws you have aren't. Grab a set of 1/4"-20x1.75" carriage bolts to replace 'em. Also, might wanna get some #10 lock washers & 1/4" finish washers to put behind wing nuts like this:Looks factory & eliminates the wobble associated with their leg design.

As far as the point on one hole, it's meant to work with the damper stop. Keeps hole perfectly lined when fully open. Weber did the same. What's interesting is that you have riveted aluminum dampers, not SS stamped dampers.  The wheels are unique as well. @Idahawk is our resident HC guy & might have something more, or better to add here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

charred

• WKC Performer
Re: My first Cappy Hooker!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 04:45:19 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Oh man, they made yellow HCs too?!? (see sig)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 05:37:06 PM »
It's actually around 30 years old.
The ash pan is a great diffuser for low and slow and it protects the bottom of the grill from both heat and gunk build up on the daisy wheels . I've had mine hot hot no problem what so ever. Line the pan with foil and it's a breeze to clean

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 02:13:22 AM »
Cool!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 02:04:12 PM »
Nice score!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 04:47:55 AM »
I've been using mine with my kettle pizza and it gets over 700 degrees no problem the grill is also a couple inches taller so it's a nice height to tend my pizza

BBQ to live live to BBQ