Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ropa Vieja  (Read 1305 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Ropa Vieja
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:02:26 PM »
I had some frozen skirt steaks and homegrown tomotoes and Bahamian goat peppers (habanero relative, so I figured I'm putting out my take on Cuban ropa vieja.

The veggies (red and white onion, yellow and red bell, poblano, and homgrown Bahamian goats)

Onions into a well oiled CIDO

Getting a sear station ready for the skirt steaks

Garlic and bay leaf

On top of some skirt

Tomatoes searing to loosen the skin

Skin removed, lightly mashed, added coriander, mustard powder, and Mexican oregano

Peppers charring

Gotta have a beer :)

Ended up using 3 Bahamian goats and what I think is an extra long pheno red ghost pepper from @pbe gummi bear   (yes, I wanted this spicy as all hell!)

Quarter for scale

Chopped hot peppers

Bells and poblano, skin and seeds removed, chopped

The whole shebang into the basement, also added a couple cups of beef broth for braising liquid

It's been on for a couple hours, just waiting for it to finish up and be pull-able

More to come
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:40:42 PM by austin87 »

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ropa Vieja
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 09:11:41 PM »
Well, I'd call this a moderate success. It took WAY longer than I thought for the meat to pull apart, next time I would use 1 cup of beef broth instead of two, I somehow forgot cumin, which I put in just about everything, and for adding 3 Bahamian goats and a bhut, the whole dish was extremely underwhelming on the spice front. I've really stepped up my game in the heat department.

When the meat was tender, I pulled off the lid and added some cherry wood chunks, so it had a nice smoke flavor. I would have liked to cook off a little more liquid (or started with less) but I was so damn hungry I couldn't wait.

I put it over yam cooked indirect on the grill - the sweetness and texture was good, but obviously not double deep fried plantain (tostones), as Grass Snake suggested last night.

For the first shot at ropa vieja I'd give it a passing grade, but could definitely improve significantly next time.

Off the grill

Over the yam and garnished with a little cilantro and lime

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »
You're really getting a knack for this cook documenting thing. Can you keep cooking it down and see if it improves? To me it seems like there is way too much veggie to meat in your recipe, making it watery and not as savory as it could be.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 12:14:52 AM »
I could try to reduce it more and might, but it will be a couple days until I get around to it. Veggie/meat ratio I think is OK (more meat definitely wouldn't hurt), but as you said, too much liquid and not thick enough. It might not hurt to add the veggies an hour or two into the cook time as well, as they were almost too soft.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »
That looks great @austin87!!!!  I love Ropa Vieja but have never tried it on the grill.  I usually use the recipe on the Goya website, except instead of rubbing it with powdered adobo with pepper as the recipe calls for, I rub it down with the adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers.  I think it comes out really good.  I'll have to see if I can adapt the recipe into something grillable.  Thanks for posting this!  I haven't made or eaten this in quite a while.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!