Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: They tell me it's red  (Read 2776 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
They tell me it's red
« on: September 07, 2016, 05:20:43 PM »
The performer search ended up producing two of these for me at the end. I've just started cleaning this one up (totally opposite of the black one whose seller did a very nice cleanup job inside) and haven't fired it up yet.

I figure it's got to be a very, very bright red since it's only very slightly darker than the grass.  It's times like this I wonder what it's like to have normal, full three colour vision.

A guest also wandered into the back yard when I took that picture.

No, he didn't end up in the black performer and become dinner... I had hamburgers instead...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: They tell me it's red
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »
Looks tasty lol.

Was that the red from Georgetown?

Sent from my HTC One using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
It was. It sounded like a bunch of deals fell through on it and the person selling it was working his way down the list of interested people and got in touch so I picked it up.  I think the Seville you got was the score of the year though.

I should mention that ever since I hooked up that 20 lb propane tank to the black performer, I've definitively been getting used to the gas ignition. That really is a nice thing to have even though I thought it was a huge extravagance the first time I saw one of these way back in high school.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 06:44:36 AM »
It was. It sounded like a bunch of deals fell through on it and the person selling it was working his way down the list of interested people and got in touch so I picked it up.  I think the Seville you got was the score of the year though.

I should mention that ever since I hooked up that 20 lb propane tank to the black performer, I've definitively been getting used to the gas ignition. That really is a nice thing to have even though I thought it was a huge extravagance the first time I saw one of these way back in high school.

After using the Gas assist at home and at the dock for over a year, I cringe when starting charcoal in the chimney with crumpled up charcoal paper bags which leave a mess in the bowl. The gas assist is awesome.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:38:29 AM »
That is a great looking Red SS!  It will probably turn a much darker red when it gets really hot.  It will be interesting to see if you can detect that with your color blindness.  I agree that gas assist didn't seem like something that was important but once you have it you will use it every cook whether using that grill or not.  I love my gas assist!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »
Mmmmm rabbit cooked in tomatos green pepper and onions yum!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:12:30 AM »
Rabits are covered in fleas this time of year, and they make you their dinner in processing.

Only way around the fleas is to throw the little bunny in a fire to singe all the hair off before you gut it.

Good luck
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »
Rabits are covered in fleas this time of year, and they make you their dinner in processing.

Only way around the fleas is to throw the little bunny in a fire to singe all the hair off before you gut it.

Good luck
TMI   8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 03:44:24 PM »
Mmmmm rabbit cooked in tomatos green pepper and onions yum!
Ditto!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 04:59:54 AM »
That is a great looking Red SS!  It will probably turn a much darker red when it gets really hot.  It will be interesting to see if you can detect that with your color blindness.  I agree that gas assist didn't seem like something that was important but once you have it you will use it every cook whether using that grill or not.  I love my gas assist!

I probably will notice some brightness shift.  The gas Weber at my parents' old house had a red lid and that would noticeably darken when it got hot.  Either this barbecue's a very orangey red or a very bright red like the gas one my parents had since reds typically look very dark if not black to me, so I should be able to tell if the brightness drops when it gets hot.  I'll have to use this one the next time I cook a steak and see if it gets darker and maybe get someone who isn't colourblind to observe and tell me what they see.

After using the Gas assist at home and at the dock for over a year, I cringe when starting charcoal in the chimney with crumpled up charcoal paper bags which leave a mess in the bowl. The gas assist is awesome.

The charcoal chimneys have been great except for situations where the crumpled up paper fails to get the charcoal ignited and you have to stuff more in the bottom and go again or when fly ash from the paper blows all over the place.  The gas ignition solves both nicely.  No paper ash and just leave it on as long as needed until the coals catch fire.  I have been using the black performer to light up chimneys for the smoker ever since I hooked up the big 20 lb propane tank and sat it on the ground next to the barbecue.

Good luck

There's a surprising amount of wildlife that pass through the back yards in this urban area.  I've had skunks, racoons, and possums too.  But yeah, they all carry fleas this time of year.  I have to preemptively treat my cat be cause will sneak out and will get exposed to them every fall.  Arrrgh.