Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Korean BBQ Insert  (Read 4062 times)

jaynik

• WKC Brave
Korean BBQ Insert
« on: September 15, 2016, 01:42:30 AM »
So, the Weber Korean BBQ Insert for the gourmet grates isn't available, at least not for less than $400 from a third party seller.  I did come across a Mongolian BBQ thing that looks similar.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Does it fit?

Mongolian BBQ Grill - Cast Iron https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002A3AZQO/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_sge2xbR7T0MHW

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Korean BBQ Insert
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 03:42:46 AM »
Wtf...!? Now I feel silly for not buying the 4 I saw at crate and barrel outlet a few years ago for $10.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:22:11 AM »
Check out this topic.  He got one (Weber GBS Korean BBQ Insert) shipped from Toronto Canada for $75. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/help-from-a-canadian-is-requested/msg231886/#msg231886

Your other option looks like it will fit.  Weber GBS cooking grate has 30 cm or 11.8" hole and the  Mongolian BBQ Grill dia. is 11".  Double check with the Seller for Product Description OD of 11" not including the handles.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »
i don't really see the point in the korean bbq insert.

I make bulgogi often, but cook it straight on the grate.
Even the korean bbq restaurants i've been to (at least a dozen) are also cooking directly on the grate.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »

Even the korean bbq restaurants i've been to (at least a dozen) are also cooking directly on the grate.

Grate openings would cause me some trouble with bulgogi.    I'm not one to lay meat out all pretty on a plate.  When I do bulgogi, I throw about 4 + lbs of thinly sliced meat in a big bowl with the marinade.  I grab some with my tongs, drop it onto my bulgogi pan and then unfold and spread the pieces out to cook evenly.     My pan is extremely similar to the one jaynik posted.   It's solid and lacks the slots that the Weber pan has, meaning of course that no charcoal flavor would hit the meat. 

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 09:36:02 AM »
I too got the Weber GBS Korean BBQ Insert from Home Depot Canada, shipped it to free to a friend's house in Ontario and had him bring it to me when he visited Disneyworld :-) I cooked on it a couple of times to justify the $80 I paid for it :-)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 10:14:21 AM »

Grate openings would cause me some trouble with bulgogi.    I'm not one to lay meat out all pretty on a plate.  When I do bulgogi, I throw about 4 + lbs of thinly sliced meat in a big bowl with the marinade.  I grab some with my tongs, drop it onto my bulgogi pan and then unfold and spread the pieces out to cook evenly.     My pan is extremely similar to the one jaynik posted.   It's solid and lacks the slots that the Weber pan has, meaning of course that no charcoal flavor would hit the meat.

I'm the same, i buy the thin cut ribeyes. after marinading, almost all of them fall apart. I put them on the grill in 'wads' and then pull them apart as they start to cook.
Sometimes I lose a little piece or two, but nothing too significant.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 12:35:29 PM »

Well damn, I might just have to give it a try then    ;D

I'm the same, i buy the thin cut ribeyes. after marinading, almost all of them fall apart. I put them on the grill in 'wads' and then pull them apart as they start to cook.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 02:11:46 PM »

Take pics!
You making your own marinade, or bottled?

Well damn, I might just have to give it a try then    ;D

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 03:06:41 PM »
So, let me be clear.  I'm in no way having problems with cooking my kalbi, bulgogi, spicy pork or whatever else strikes on the grill.  i have a problem with accessories.  :-)

I'm not expecting much from the cooker, but it does emulate the way the korean bbqs around us cook most often.  Here, there are two methods:  1 is over the grate, 2 is more common and is on a convex cooking ceramic looking cooker where they lay the meat to drain down into a catch tray at the bottom.  At the restaurants here, the cooker doesn't have slots.  It just takes heat from the flame below.  Wood flavor isn't necessarily a korean bbq trait.  Regardless, I'm just curious.  Not sure if i want it, but because I can't get it, it's alluring.

BTW, I don't even have the GBS because I fear that it's not what I hoped it'd be.  It does seem like it would work nicely with the vortex though.