Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib o lator doesn't work  (Read 3455 times)

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Rib o lator doesn't work
« on: August 29, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »
So the wife bought me a rib olator for my birthday.  I already bought a Roti from Amazon for $69.00
And it works fine .. So I was very excited..
 So sat I put it together and bought some pork chops to try it out..
Following the directions I put it together to find out that the trays
Are like 1/2 inch too long and hit the sides of the ring..
 This causes the motor to switch directions .
Ok so I looked at the set up .. Maybe the end pieces are not centered, maybe
The motor bracket is it the wrong place.
  So after about and hour of tweeting it looked pretty good
Still hit the ring, but did not change direction
  Put on the chops and closed the lid. After 1/2 hour checked the progress
To find the tray fell off and one of the pork chops was laying on the coals
  I took off the Roti and finished on the grill
  Monday morning I called bob at rib o lator
Nice guy , told me that the regular trays hit the sides but
The adjustable trays for $129 a set do not
  And he said that Amazon should have it in there description
( side note they have it now!) so now either I have to buy
A new set of trays or not use the rib o rip off at all!!
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rib o lator doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:28:58 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 10:14:39 PM »
That sucks.  Holler at Amazon and see about returning.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Rib o lator doesn't work
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 02:14:27 AM »
What are the trays made out of? This maybe a silly thought, but could you cut down the sides and reattach them with a L bracket? A far shot for sure, but just a possible option other than selling it?

Edit - Looking at the pictures it would be a nightmare to mess with that thing. Hopefully they'll work with you and thanks for sharing the problem with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:13:58 AM by Travis »

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 05:16:20 AM »
@Lemans .. It is unfortunate that there was no clear description on Amazon. I do see that they have it now (WILL NOT FIT THE WEBER KETTLE OR DRUM SKOKERS), you will need the adjustable for this.

When I purchased the Rib-O-Lator, I too was confused and did not know which one to get. I was buying it from Firecraft. Fortunately they had a clear description that stated the non-adjustable one won't fit the Weber Kettle. I also called up Bob (inventor of the Rib-O-Lator) and left him a voicemail, and he called me back and explained the differences and told me the exact one to get for my 22.5 OTG with the Weber Rotisserie.

You should definitely call amazon and try to get a replacement. They have very good customer service and they will definitely exchange it for you. Good Luck!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 05:44:28 AM »
I have the non- adjustable trays and the kit works fine on my kettle. But I have the older model and you mentioned that you purchased the latest?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 06:01:44 AM »
I as well have the non adjustable. They fit just fine in mine. I got mine about 4 months ago. Not sure when they came out with the newer model.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 06:35:18 AM »
How much tray adjusting did you do so the would not hit?
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 07:10:28 AM »
How much tray adjusting did you do so the would not hit?
It takes a little patience to get the trays to align perfectly, because there is not much room to play with. The key is centering and balancing. The two side 'X' brackets must be secured tightly while pushed inward as far inward as possible. Do a dry run (without food) to check for clearance. Once you pass that test load your food, but make sure each tray is balanced. Otherwise you will have your food sitting in the coals. Like I said earlier, it's not a process that you can rush through, but it can be done. But then again I have the older model so...

If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 08:39:35 AM »
I too have the older one, yes, you have to take the time and test fit. I have had no problems with it, other than I don't use it that much.....
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 11:59:01 AM »
I do a dry run with mine every time, then load the food. Minor adjustment if any. And as @Bustin Butt said, balance is the key. I learned the hard way and lost three of the four slabs my first time.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »
It's Lemans Lemon. What did the amazon ad say it would fit? You are using it on a 22 correct?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 03:28:06 PM »
Never had that problem
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 03:45:06 PM »
Yes. Using it on a 22

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 03:59:49 PM »
Call the Ribolator people and don't take crap. Get your refund. Tell them what board you have a discussion about this on. Don't take no for an answer.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"