Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tools of the Trade - Show us your RESTORE kit!  (Read 2028 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Tools of the Trade - Show us your RESTORE kit!
« on: August 28, 2016, 05:19:59 AM »
Many of us have done multiple Restores, (some way more than others) and I'm sure we've all learned a few things about what to do or not to do along the way. After returning from a vacation, where I ended up cleaning up a couple kettles, I thought it would be a good time to assemble a kit I could take anywhere to perform the occasional rehab. Here's what I ended up with, but I'd like to see what everyone else suggests having around that you find indispensable when performing a RESTORE. Here's my minimal travel kit:

Two pads of 0000 steel wool
One pad magic eraser
Philips driver for handles
Plastic scraper
Small spice shaker of Bar Keepers Friend
Box-end wrench for the most common nuts
Razor scraper and spare blade
Weber bar rag (because; why not? 8))

So let's see your kit! What are your go-to tools? What do you use most often? Anyone come across the perfect kettle-head's multi tool?

Retired

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Tools of the Trade - Show us your RESTORE kit!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:51:46 AM »
I'm still new to the game so my kit is very basic. Can you guess which is most important?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:04:39 AM »
I'm afraid you'll need to be more specific as to the brand of lubricant you prefer...
Retired

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 06:17:15 AM »
I'm afraid you'll need to be more specific as to the brand of lubricant you prefer...
What I prefer and what I can afford are far different. A case of champagne taste on a beer budget I'm afraid. [emoji23][emoji23]

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »
I'm still new to the game so my kit is very basic. Can you guess which is most important?

To a T. Even the same scraper and brand of steel wool. Beer selection varies by the day.
Still need a 22” yellow

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 08:27:43 PM »

An here I thought I was the only one cleaning kettles at vacation rentals prior to use.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:34:05 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 01:37:40 AM »
You can explain away all the rest, but 7444s and Mother's is just a LITTLE OVER THE TOP!

But I do get it.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 06:42:04 AM »

@Jon- This is my cleaning kit, not what I take on vacations (lol).  I should have made that distinction in my original post. I agree that changing the ash sweeps and polishing the aluminum would be excessive for a vacation rental. I do clean the exterior lid, bowl and cooking grates of rental unit kettles.

The Q-tips are for applying olive oil to bare metal (chipped porcelain)areas on the outside of the lid and bowl.
The leather gloves are hand protection while using the bell style wire brush drill attachment, when cleaning rust from triangles. You only need to hit your hand once to know not to bare hand hold a triangle.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"