Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbie requesting advice  (Read 1374 times)

Africard

• Happy Cooker
Newbie requesting advice
« on: August 27, 2016, 03:17:24 AM »
Hey guys, picked up this '86 blue (for $10!) and thought it will make a nice restoration project...upon googling "weber restoration" found this group and are so excited!

I do have a couple of questions:
1) What style ash collector did this model have - it came with the older style, but also have wire holders on the legs
2) Do you ever remove the top vent - and if yes, how do you replace the rivet (or with what)?
3) the wheels are functional, but not in top shape - would you recommend replacing or not

Appreciated

Africard
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:24:05 AM by Africard »

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Newbie requesting advice
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 03:46:04 AM »
Your picture is not showing up for me but I will try and help anyway.

1- I believe it should be the current style pan.
2- I have never removed one, but if you want to for some reason, you will need to drill out the rivet and then put it back on with a screw. Curious why you want to remove it?
3- You can get new wheels from Weber for about $15 each, or you can get new "weber" inserts in plastic from @Uncle Al  or wood from @zavod44. I have gotten some from both of these gentlemen and they both are fantastic quality!

Africard

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 04:00:40 AM »
Thanks...was wondering if that picture will show (shows if I click on the link).

The unit is painted grey - even the top vent, and some paint went in under the vent...

Africard

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:03:07 AM »
How do I post a picture so that all can see?

Africard

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 04:18:38 AM »
Trying the pic again (updated original post)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:24:49 AM by Africard »

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 05:24:18 AM »
Has that lid been painted over with the light blue color ?
If so, I would clean that stuff off.

On the top vent there can a "letter code" that will identify your kettle's date of manufacture.
Knowing that date will help you to decide on how to do the restore.
Don't take the top vent off unless you really must.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 06:05:14 AM »
The twist-on pan is probably correct, even with the wire hangers/clips. If I recall correctly, the wire clips started in '79-'80. Clip actually goes above the pan to keep it from lifting & falling off in the wind (18"s more prone than 22"s).

If possible try to clean the paint off w/o removing dampers (original always looks best). The porcelain is really tough, so you can remove paint with razor blades. Break a blade in half to fit into damper holes to scrape under the damper (turn damper to get all the paint). Paint thinner doesn't affect finish, so I'd use it to clean dampers (w/ steel wool) & wipe the kettle to ensure all paint is gone.

@indy82z is right about your wheel options. @zavod44 makes some sweet handles also (with luck, the paint is hiding great looking handles).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 06:06:53 AM »

Clips go on like this for twist pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Africard

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 02:47:45 PM »
Has that lid been painted over with the light blue color ?
If so, I would clean that stuff off.

On the top vent there can a "letter code" that will identify your kettle's date of manufacture.
Knowing that date will help you to decide on how to do the restore.
Don't take the top vent off unless you really must.
Yes it has been painted grey (urghhh)! The plan is to clean it up following the instructionals on this web. The letter code used to identify it is "H", which makes it a '86 model. I'll try not to remove the vent.

Thank you all for the advice - I'll post more questions before doing anything that is not explained on the WKC  :D
 I'll also document and post pics when I'm done

Greetings from downunder!

Africard

Africard

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 08:09:18 PM »
Any ideas on how to disassemble the one touch rake?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 08:32:20 PM »

@Africard -  The easiest way to remove the sweeps is to cut the rod on each side of the hex nut with a hack saw or dremel cutting wheel.  The hex nut and sweeps will then drop through the hole.  You will have to install a new set of one touch ash sweeps. They can be ordered from Amazon for $15.00 and will be the new H style.  Real easy to install.

//www.amazon.com/Weber-7444-2-Inch-One-Touch-Cleaning/dp/B005LVAZ3A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472358628&sr=8-1&keywords=one+touch+ash+sweeps
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Africard

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 12:28:57 AM »
Thanks!