Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My lowest and slooowest cook ever (Live)  (Read 1733 times)

RumBar

• WKC Brave
My lowest and slooowest cook ever (Live)
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »
I am totally baffled. I am in the midst of my slowest cook ever. Pretty simple cook, two slabs of St. Louis ribs. Same grill and same charcoal set up as I've done for the last two years, nothing has changed other than the high humidity we've had in Indiana for the last three week which I think might be the culprit.
I normally run the bottom vent with an 1/4" gap at best and the top vent full open but I've got the bottom open fully now still no joy.
I started the coals at 1:30 and it's now 3:30 and the grate temp is only 175° and the ribs are at 145° which is pretty amazing, the have been following the grate temp by 30 degrees for the last two hours. I'm going to let it ride for a while but I have another a snake set up in another grill just in case.
So I'm thinking the high humidity has some how saturated the kbb coals which is weird as I store them in a plastic tote.
Any thoughts?
Updated to follow.
Grate temp is is currently 180°

●|||||||●

RumBar

• WKC Brave
Re: My lowest and slooowest cook ever (Live)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 12:31:01 PM »
4:30 - 190° grate 178° ribs.  No bark.

●|||||||●

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:32:31 PM »

●|||||||●

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »
In the past have you always done so many slabs at once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Growing family = growing kettles!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
My lowest and slooowest cook ever (Live)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:55:54 PM »
I don't know about humidity. I'm in central, southern Illinois where humidity is king, and have not ran into that problem.

Your setup is exactly the same as before? Same charcoal, too?
Have you cracked the lid yet, or adjusted the dampers, or letting it ride?
I've ran into the situation where the snake wasn't getting the cooker hot enough, but that was my fault as I didn't use enough coals for a 26r. I ditched the snaked, banked the coals and got it up to the desired temp.
Sounds like you're just about done just with no bark or much color. I think I would continue indirect, but then sear for the finish to get some texture.

Whatever the case, let us know what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RumBar

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 07:48:02 AM »
Still not sure what happened but the ribs turned out ok, not smoked by any means but everyone ate them and had no leftovers. It was like they had been baked in an oven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 05:38:57 AM »
If your storage tote is airtight, could the temperature have possibly caused some condensation buildup inside?
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown