Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: smoking with briquets or lump  (Read 1434 times)

Rhaugle

• Happy Cooker
smoking with briquets or lump
« on: August 18, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
Haven't smoked on a weber ever.. I've had offsets and electrics though, so i know whats going on. I see that most people use the snake method. Is it possible to do the snake with lump? I have a lot more lump right now then briquets and need to use it up before I buy any more. I have read through some threads here and noticed some people use a mix of both. Is that the best way to go?
Copper Performer

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: smoking with briquets or lump
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »
I don't know if it's the best or not, but it works. You'll have less ash at the end, for sure, but may experience more temp fluctuations. I did anyway, but it worked fine. Good luck, bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 02:28:29 PM »
I agree with Travis as to the temp fluctuations. Lump burns hot and fast so air control is critical. The snake can be used with lump, but have to be monitored much closely than briquettes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:34:21 PM by Bustin Butt »
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »
All I've ever used is lump until I bought Stubb's on sale. My opinion is save the lump for your other cooks and use your briqs. You'll spend a lot less time adding fuel and changing vents. I don't have fancy gadgets yet and I did a minion in the stock Weber basket. Got almost 5 hours without adding fuel with Stubb's.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:47:35 PM by kettlebb »
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
Re: smoking with briquets or lump
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 05:57:29 PM »
I use lump for hot 'n fast grilling.
I use quality briqs for low 'n slow.

Maybe try intermixing some lump and briqs to use up the lump.