Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: G'rilla Que  (Read 8036 times)

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
Re: G'rilla Que
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »
looking forward to a review.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 12:30:55 PM »
Don't get me wrong, @madbbq, I am interested to hear how you like it.  I do wonder how much of a difference it will actually make over rails or baskets--or even plain old bricks for that matter.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

madbbq

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 06:48:48 AM »
Ok...here are the results (posted in the cooking section as well).  Since this is the first time I cook ribs on a Weber kettle, i can only give what i experienced without caparison.  I used a weber basket with the G'rillaQue banked against it.  I was hoping with the coals pack in close together I would get a good burn.  I filled the basket with 30 Kingford's briquettes (left one side of the basket open for the lit ones) and lit about 10-15 in a chimney.  I then placed the lit briquettes in the basket filled the GQ with hot tap water.  I place apple wood chunks on top of the basket for smoke.

With the my bottom vent 50% open and the top 100%, The grate temp (using Maverick 732) continued to slowly creep up by 2 degrees.  I put the ribs on around the 230 mark and monitored the temp as it continued to climb. When it hit 260 and noticed it wasn't stopping, I closed the bottom vent to 12.5%.  The temp started to drop and leveled at a perfect 250.  It stayed like that for 2.5 more hours fluctuating 2-4 deg. at most.  Needless to say I was very please with that which included open the lid to spritz every 20-30 min.  After putting the lid back on the temp recovered very well and maintained at 250. 

After I wrapped (in foil with honey butter, brown sugar, and apple juice) i noticed my temp had dropped to 225 - 230, so i decided to add about 8-10 more briquettes on top of the lit ones and it did not take long for the temp to recover to 250 (about 15-20 min).  I left them wrapped in foil for 1.5 hours, then unwrapped and applied some Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce and finished off about 30 minutes uncovered.

As you see below, I think they turned out pretty good.  I could have left them on for a bit longer but it was a good bite with no tug.  Definitely not fall off the bone but still edible.  My family was getting impatient.

All in all i am very please with the performance of the GQ.  I still had plenty of water left so it would seem that longer cooks would not be a problem.  It provides excellent direct/indirect zone in my opinion and will continue to use it for future cooks.   Also, I will definitely figure a way to use more briquettes, either by modifying the basket to hold more or make a larger one out of expanded metal.  This will help with longer cooks and will prevent from having to add while cooking.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »
Re: Also, I will definitely figure a way to use more briquettes, either by modifying the basket to hold more or make a larger one out of expanded metal.

Try filling the indirect zone with charcoal, it should burn for awhile.  You don't need a basket.

Stvtunlvzn

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2016, 04:46:43 AM »
I've built numerous smokers over the years and the more I learned the more I liked the versatility of the Weber kettle. So when I saw a Weber 22 on sale I pulled the trigger. Since I'm a modder I had to order several items to mod my Kettle and first on the list was a Grillaque. I sent several messages to Matt at Grillaque and he always took the time to answer my questions. One of the things I like about it is being able to move it to increase or reduce the size of the zones. After receiving the Grillaque I like that it's heavy stainless steel and not a piece of junk from China. I've seen several people reply about not having a side to bank the coals on but I simply tied some scrap extruded steel to my grate and problem solved. I hadn't fired it up yet cause I'm still modding but when I do you'll get my review.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
G'rilla Que
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »
I've got one. I got it a couple years back when they were on sale. It works great! It's the same as the slow and sear except the charcoal holding area. I've done 11 hour cooks without refilling. I'm guessing that's probably the same as the sns'. I never heard of a sns before joining the site and after I heard about crazing I took apart some old charcoal rails and now use them as a backing to keep the coals off the bowl along with the grillaque. It lives in my performer and couldn't be happier.

Have fun with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:47:08 PM by Travis »