Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie: charcoal or gas?  (Read 2143 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Rotisserie: charcoal or gas?
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:47:57 PM »
Chicken always seem to get cooked when the grill(s) are going; whether for that meal, future meals in the week, etc.

Typically my chicken prep consists of brining and spatchcocking whole chickens. While this produces a good product, it is also time consuming. My assumption is spinning a bird would provide similar results with less work.

If my assumption is correct...should I get one for the kettle or Genesis? I have no experience with these and initially looked at these items: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-2290-2-Inch-Charcoal-Rotisserie/dp/B00004VWM1 and https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7519-Gas-Grill-Rotisserie/dp/B000WEMHGO.

While we're here, it a Weber rotisserie necessary or is something like this adequate: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014419I7G/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000WEMHGO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=GB2F5CS1XK9RYSFQKTYJ or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016VS9QPY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687462&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004VWM1&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=J4VT829K64A8SBTWVWR9.

Thanks for the insight fellas.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Re: Rotisserie: charcoal or gas?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:53:35 PM »
I'm gonna tell ya, I have a rotisserie for both my gasser and my kettle. It is pretty much up to you as to what you prefer. I will use my gas roti when I don't have time to set up a charcoal cook, but I prefer the kettle roti for that smoked flavor.

I do own an onlyfire rotisserie ring for my Weber Jumbo Joe and works well, but I don't know much about the roti kit for the Genesis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 02:20:45 AM »
Like Butt said, it's user preference.  Me, I had a gas grill (non-weber) for many years and the universal roti I used on that worked fine, that said, since I switched over to the kettle, the food just seems to taste better when it's rotating between two charcoal baskets.  Not sure why.  Better control of the smoke?  Indirect cooking as opposed to cooking directly over the burners?

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 02:45:27 AM »
I would go for the 2290 and get busy spinning some very tender and tasty yard bird..

AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 03:54:19 AM »
I borrowed a buddies roti for my kettle and I'm planning on buying one. I think it's splitting hairs as far as spatchcock vs roti though (for me at least). More prep time cutting and flattening out the bird or more prep time setting up the roti, trussing and getting the bird on. Then adjusting the counterweight. Still fun to spin a yard bird and they are very tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 05:46:26 AM »
I have both. You do get more flavor out of the charcoal. Both produce a really juicy product. I have the weber kit for my Genesis and the Cajun bandit kit for my kettles and WSM. All quality products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 06:45:05 AM »
should I get one for the kettle or Genesis?

You asked, so here it is.  Get it for the kettle.  You will not regret it. 
I just did a bird on it this passed Sunday.  Love it!  Here is my go-to method, if you're interested.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/this-rotisserie-chicken-turned-out-fantastic/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 07:30:29 AM »
I replied over on the Brethren site too....
I prefer the charcoal.   And bought the OnlyFire cheaper version.
I love it.  Bit of a learning curve getting the temp dialed in because of all the openings in the Roti set-up.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 08:09:49 AM »
I have the Onlyfire stainless one too. I added a Nomex gasket around the edge to tighten things up a bit. It is harder to put on the kettle now, but it is well sealed there and pushes the heat up better. and I can control the heat just a little better. There are still a lot of gaps though so heat control isn't perfect.

You can see the gap in this picture.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 09:08:46 AM »
The Onlyfire rotisserie ring fits perfectly on the JJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!