Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Can This Be Repaired?  (Read 1788 times)

Geezer

• WKC Brave
Can This Be Repaired?
« on: August 14, 2016, 07:15:13 AM »
My workhorse kettle has developed a problem.  A few years ago one of the supports for the charcoal grate rusted and fell off.  I still had the other 3 supports so I kept on cooking.  My plan was to just drill a hole and put a stainless bolt in there with a nut and washer on either side of the kettle and I was back to 4 supports.  Well, procrastination has gotten the better of me and my (t)rusty kettle.  I now have a hole rusted completely through. 
The kettle is still functional for now but it's only going to get worse.  I have other kettles that I can use but I really want to save this one.  I'm thinking it's grilling days are numbered now and this cancer will spread rapidly.  Any suggestions on a repair or should I just start preparing myself for the inevitable?

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Can This Be Repaired?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:59:54 AM »
 :'(  poor kettle bowl, I hope you find help for your baby.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 08:22:26 AM »
Couple of washers and an L bracket, a nut and bolt and your back in action......

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 08:42:55 AM »
Couple of washers and an L bracket, a nut and bolt and your back in action......

Nice to see you are trying to save this kettle.  You already have a hole. You could put bolt thru. with big enough washer on the outside to cover the hole. Another washer inside follow by nut to tighten. Then put strip of metal or L bracket. Bend the bot. of the bar or L bracket to support the charcoal grate. Another nut to secure everything.

Before you do this, knock out all the rust. You may get a bigger hole but that will be all covered up with bigger washer. Put some rust inhibitor spray oil or reg. cooking oil.  You may also shape the outer washer concave before putting it on, so it makes tighter seal on the outside.

Definitely doable in my opinion.  Good luck!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:31:30 AM »
If you want to keep this in the fight then that's an easy fix....sounds like a cooker not so much a looker so put a nut and bolt and light some charcoal.....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
If you have a dremel grind out all the bad rust then coat with lard or bacon grease before sealing with fender washers amd such.  I just fixed the same thing on a kettle I flipped.
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »
If you have a dremel grind out all the bad rust then coat with lard or bacon grease before sealing with fender washers amd such.  I just fixed the same thing on a kettle I flipped.

I was thinking fender washers and a 1/4" stainless bolt.  It ain't going to be pretty but I'm not entering in the county fair or anything.  As I said, I have other kettles to cook on, I just want to keep this one in the game a while longer.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 02:54:07 PM »

I was thinking fender washers and a 1/4" stainless bolt.  It ain't going to be pretty but I'm not entering in the county fair or anything.  As I said, I have other kettles to cook on, I just want to keep this one in the game a while longer.
For aesthetics, if a fender washer will cover the damaged area, then go for it.
If not, then make up your own fender washer from some sheet metal.
You could even make the patch oblong.

That might take two fasteners, 1/4-20 or 12-24 or even 10-24