Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Folks that have built a wooden table / cart - question for YOU  (Read 7227 times)

bnovak282

I'm lining up a design to hold my 22.5 and my Akorn Kamado (since the grills are taking over the patio!)

Couple questions

1 - how do you support the grill in your rack? Is it Ok to just "hang" it from the handles?

2 - how much clearance do you have between the grill and the wood? I saw one build that had a concrete ring, but I think that's out of my league :-)

3 - is there any sort of insulation that could be used?

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Re: Folks that have built a wooden table / cart - question for YOU
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 08:35:32 AM »
Great questions - I've been pondering the same things.  Looking forward to the replies
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 01:03:43 PM »
Another option is to get a used performer bowl that already has the brackets for mounting on a table.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bnovak282

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 01:55:32 PM »
Shaun - my Acorn actually hangs from 2 side brackets (I have the cart style) so that one is easy. it's got 2 big "L" brackets bolted through on either side.

I like the idea of flexible metal trim. I'll have to spend some time wandering Lowes this weekend.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »
Not sure how this would apply …. Some creativity and imagination may be required … Thought I would try to contribute.

I built a kettle fire pit a couple years back …

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/kettle-fire-pit/

If you want a metal band to hold the kettle, I suggest a band length of 69-70" of flat bar rolled to hold the kettle.

Having the handles hold the weight of the kettle is up to you.  I personally would not do that …. Never know what might happen.  ??? ???
The strength of the bowl is most likely much stronger than the handles …. Just guessing.  I'm not an engineer, or anything like that.

I look forward to see what you ultimately come up with.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 03:26:47 PM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 04:04:58 PM »
I'm lining up a design to hold my 22.5 and my Akorn Kamado (since the grills are taking over the patio!)

Couple questions

1 - how do you support the grill in your rack? Is it Ok to just "hang" it from the handles?

2 - how much clearance do you have between the grill and the wood? I saw one build that had a concrete ring, but I think that's out of my league :-)

3 - is there any sort of insulation that could be used?
You would want to use a "Gold" bowl that has two handles.

I would be comfortable with 3/4" clear of the bowl with my wood table.
And I would use a 3/8" rounding over bit in my router around the whole top, including the kettle-table interface area for a pro look.

There was someone who just recently restored a Performer and made up some nice "Performer Bowl Brackets" (can't find the thread).
He had some extras that he was selling as well.....beautiful, bolt-on SS brackets.
Having a pair of those brackets, you would only need a Silver (one handle to cut off).
Now you would have total elevation control of the top lip of the bowl using these brackets
"Optimum Elevation" might be bottom edge of lid slightly above (1/8") top of table..

Using the handle straps of a Gold, you are beholden to the location (elevation) of the those straps.

Edit:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/wsm-weber-smokey-mountain/18-5-wsm-cart-from-weber/
Says he might make a run of brackets for 22.5".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 03:53:17 PM by DirectDrive »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 07:49:07 PM »
@bnovak282 , This is original. Legs are shortened and has a pan. OTG would work to.

If you leave 1/2" 3/4", with know protection you will be fine. @MacEggs will agree.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 10:29:43 AM »

@bnovak282 , This is original. Legs are shortened and has a pan. OTG would work to.

If you leave 1/2" 3/4", with know protection you will be fine. @MacEggs will agree.

Whoa! I love the wood table on the performer.  Drools.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ellatino210

• Smokey Joe
    • THE LATIN DEATHDROP
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »
Don't know if this would help you.  In wanting a side table for my Weber Kettle.  I used a pallet.  I would later use nails to hang all my tongs, spatula, etc.

A TODA MADRE O UN DESMADRE

pdubss

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »
I used the mounting tabs from a weber 7401 utensil holder.
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7401-Tool-Holder/dp/B000WEMG24

Here's some pictures for inspiration.  I have a tiny garage, so I built it to fold when not in use

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:58:55 AM »
I made a table similar to the one Weber used to make. Except instead of particle board and veneer I used cedar boards from the old shutters that had been removed from my dad's house. Have about an inch to 3/4" between the wood and bowl. I made a clamp that will fit the old wood handles or the newer plastic ones.
Boards removed from shutters.

Boards screwed together underneath and sanded.

Stained and legs attached.
Legs are 1" aluminum shower curtain  rod.
Natural look cedar stain.

Works great. I just need to add a few stainless steel hooks.

addicted to charcoal......
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
When it comes to custom side tables, or carts, one is only limited by your imagination and creativity.
I, personally, have gleaned a lot of inspiration from the very creative members on this forum.
I try to give back the best I can in hopes of inspiring others to "crack open" their creative side, and let it loose.

The above mentioned tables are very creative, indeed!  Great stuff.  :D

Yes, that is fine.

A homemade, or custom-made side table is a wonderful thing.  It is unique to you, and you can look on it with pride.

I never thought I would have a Performer, so I made 2 side tables out of steel two years ago, with aluminum legs.

These are great tables!

I then acquired a C&B Performer last summer …. And, I wanted a wood table.  So I made one a little larger than the stock table.

I didn't stop there …. For my Ivory M/T, I wanted something very unique.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

pdubss

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 02:29:47 PM »
When it comes to custom side tables, or carts, one is only limited by your imagination and creativity.
I, personally, have gleaned a lot of inspiration from the very creative members on this forum.
I try to give back the best I can in hopes of inspiring others to "crack open" their creative side, and let it loose.

The above mentioned tables are very creative, indeed!  Great stuff.  :D

Yes, that is fine.

A homemade, or custom-made side table is a wonderful thing.  It is unique to you, and you can look on it with pride.

I never thought I would have a Performer, so I made 2 side tables out of steel two years ago, with aluminum legs.

These are great tables!

I then acquired a C&B Performer last summer …. And, I wanted a wood table.  So I made one a little larger than the stock table.

I didn't stop there …. For my Ivory M/T, I wanted something very unique.

Wow, scrolling through those tables all get progressively better.  The last 2 wooden performers are works of art!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 03:42:34 PM »
Years ago I picked up a used Cypress Big Green Egg table and removed the top boards and used some reclaimed Ipe decking and mounted a Large BGE and an Imperial Kamado in it.

It lacked counter space to work on so I added folding shelves on each side.

I've never mounted a Weber in a wooden table, and the Kamado table is now my wifes potting bench!

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Here is a table my outlaw relative made for his flat top 26'r!

It still has its legs, the cut out is U shaped and pulls out to empty ash etc.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

For more wooden creations take a look at the Naked Whiz Ceramic Cooker Table Gallery - If you don't see something there - you don't need it!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm?I1
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!