Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ideas to improve ugly keggle mod...  (Read 2725 times)

ineedespresso

• Happy Cooker
Ideas to improve ugly keggle mod...
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:59:25 AM »
Home made pizza is a new passion for me, and I thought I would have a go...

I carved up a beer keg I had lying around, whacked it on my grill, added a pizza stone, and the lid of the kettle and voila!

Made a huge chimney of briquettes and got to work.

Very smokey and the pizza top was not getting enough heat so I added a fire on the stone and tinfoil across the top of the pizzakeggle.  This increased the top heat and reduced the smoking/sealed up the lid better!

Still could only reach 550f at absolute max. And more like 400f on the stone Any suggestions?

I think the briquettes were a little starved of oxygen as the stone covers so much of the grill, which will have cooled them I guess?

Open to your ideas.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Ideas to improve ugly keggle mod...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »
I think you had too many coals under the stone and towards the front.  I put a few coals under the stone but the main load of coals is in the back.  I think that allows air to be sucked into the front of the pizza attachment and flow under the stone to the coals then up the back and into the lid.  It also looks like your stone might be a little too big.  From the pics it looks like it takes up almost the entire grate.  Your DIY attachment looks great though, I don't see why it won't work once you make a few adjustments to get it dialed in.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »
Here is a sketch of how I setup my coals.  I've actually revised a bit since I drew this sketch and use less coals under the stone these days.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

ineedespresso

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:11:54 AM »
Cheers Mike! I'll give it a go and report back with my findings. I think the stone cracked down one side so it should be a little smaller next time too! Serendipity!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:41:04 AM »
Cheers Mike! I'll give it a go and report back with my findings. I think the stone cracked down one side so it should be a little smaller next time too! Serendipity!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If your ring fits fairly snug in the bottom of the kettle, you might try making it a little smaller.  The KettlePizza leaves a little bit of a gap all the way around between the KP and the rim of the kettle.  I'm sure this was intentional to allow better airflow.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »
That pizza looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app