Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Redhead Score in Toronto  (Read 4108 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: Redhead Score in Toronto
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 03:12:19 PM »
my gray i picked up has the same wheels and the black triangle. I also picked up an EI, red this weekend. daisy wheels, black wheels and triangle.

Did both your gray and red come with hinged grill grates?

Great info guys!  I have a theory based on the info you guys provided and some of my own research that this is not an economy model but a Special Edition similar to 2016 Special Edition Canadian Master-Touch. 

Back in late 90's, most of the Weber kettles produced were already using One touch system even in Black kettles.  I believe Weber came up with Retro Special Edition using few selected colors ( Red, Gray, ?) with VSM style daisy wheel vents, power-coated triangle (probably more expensive to produce), and to add more of the blacked out look-  wheels without the whitewalls.  This was one less step in their production process by not drilling holes and adding white wall trim, not anymore expensive but it enhanced the look they were going for. They also used top of the line hinged grill grate at the time. I am sure Reg. OTS kettles came with Reg. one piece grates. These kettles might have also came stock  charcoal holders and warming rack similar to new Master-Touch.

(Talking about Economy models, the newer style but pre taco handle kettles are interesting too. " Handles from 2000-2011 has pale white-grey and 2012- present day has charcoal grey color". My eco kettle is DZ 2008.  Other OTS is AU 2012. Both have diff. handles, ash pan, and the triangle.)  < I made some correction here. This part is all facts.

Nothing factual or confirmed findings. Just my assumption. I could be way off, but interesting nevertheless.  I find Weber history as a whole very fascinating.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:15:12 AM by greenweb »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 05:16:08 PM »
@Darko I have a silver with two handles.
Still need a 22” yellow

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 05:48:41 PM »
@greenweb …… Maybe I'm wrong … been known to happen, but …… maybe you're over-thinking this whole Weber Kettle thing …  "very fascinating", indeed ..

I believe the daisy-wheels were available up until 1999-2000.  I'm sure the lid and bowl were of the same quality, but no One-Touch.

When it comes to the wheels and triangle, perhaps Weber kettle historian,  @Craig can shed some light on this ….
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 07:29:12 PM »
@greenweb …… Maybe I'm wrong … been known to happen, but …… maybe you're over-thinking this whole Weber Kettle thing …  "very fascinating", indeed ..

I believe the daisy-wheels were available up until 1999-2000.  I'm sure the lid and bowl were of the same quality, but no One-Touch.

When it comes to the wheels and triangle, perhaps Weber kettle historian,  @Craig can shed some light on this ….

You are absolutely correct!   I am overthinking it. 1983-"The “One Touch” sweeping and venting system is introduced. Initially this was a “premium” model before becoming Weber’s standard kettle vent design by 2000". So yes it could have been common to have daisy wheel vents. But...

why Weber do this

- use screw on type wheel vents vs reg. riveted vents.( when did they start using VSM style vents)
- use no whitewall wheel to distinguish apart from reg kettles after all this kettle is Weber line.  other time was with Sears/Kenmore economy kettles to separate it from Weber lines of kettles.  plastic wheels (1977) to now has been always same on any models, so why change it . Only other time was with new MT  and Performer with hubcap wheel.
- Same with the triangle.  why power coat it to differentiate.   Chrome plated triangle has been always same on any kettles.
- Reds, Gray- wasn't this kind of rare color.   any blacks out there?   I tend to think the opposite of eco. kettles.
- I do agree and believe that the lid and the bowls were same.  New MT is same way with just diff. colors, better grates, warming rack and charcoal bins stock.
- It is possible- came stock with hinged grate, charcoal holder racks and warming racks like I got on mine.   then the assumption is upscale version.

To me, possibility of 90's Special Edition kettles are probable.  What if .  I figure I won't find out or satisfy my curiosity unless I put it out here.   @Craig or anyone ?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:23:48 AM by greenweb »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »
That's a killer redhead! Yes Weber did still offer Daisy vent kettles in the 1990s known as the BAR-B-KETTLE. One bowl handle, black wheels. For some reason, the black BBKs had the economy triangle but the red ones got the full triangle albeit in black. I believe the red BBKs were available at premium retailers, i.e. Ace Hardware etc. I have a 1995 One Touch red with the same misting on it. Id love to find a red 90s Daisy wheeler like this one. I prefer Daisy wheelers. Oh and yes the daisies were user installed in the 1990s. Presumably to save on manufacturing costs since by then, the BBKs were a basic kettle.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »
That's a killer redhead! Yes Weber did still offer Daisy vent kettles in the 1990s known as the BAR-B-KETTLE. One bowl handle, black wheels. For some reason, the black BBKs had the economy triangle but the red ones got the full triangle albeit in black. I believe the red BBKs were available at premium retailers, i.e. Ace Hardware etc. I have a 1995 One Touch red with the same misting on it. Id love to find a red 90s Daisy wheeler like this one. I prefer Daisy wheelers. Oh and yes the daisies were user installed in the 1990s. Presumably to save on manufacturing costs since by then, the BBKs were a basic kettle.

Thanks! That helps out tremendously.  Very interesting about having to install your own vents. Actually all of it is interesting.  Yes, I was surprised with daisy wheels. I was  expecting One Touch Sys. as I believe it to be more common although it was optional till year 2000.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:26:35 AM by greenweb »