Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyone actually scored a grill by ringing the doorbell and "cold calling"?  (Read 5561 times)

glend123

• WKC Brave
I tried this twice so far to no avail.  One lady said she knew it was old but didn't want to sell it.  Another lady , who was more friendly to the stranger knocking on her door, said she will use it someday but hasn't used it since she moved into the house. Which was 9 years ago!!!
I left my number both times but no call back yet.  I can only hope that piece of paper is stuck to their refrigerators and they walk by it everyday and finally call me.
Let's hear your story and your approach to the suspicious homeowner that you were stalking 8) ;)
22" yellow kettle, 26" brown kettle, 26" Black kettle, 22" Blue kettle, 22" red performer, 18" smoker, Ranger

Troy

• Statesman
Yes, I know several that have. I'll let them tell their stories.

I cold called on a red 18.
The guy INSISTED, over and over again that it wasn't a Weber - but he said I could have it for $10
As I was loading it, I pointed out the lid and how it said "Weber." Then he said that someone may have switched the lid.
Whatever. I loaded the grill and left.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
The one time I've tried was an unsuccessful attempt at scoring a red Seville chariot. I believe @addicted-to-smoke made a cold call at the same house. That house now has a steel wheel red sitting exposed to all weather, etc next to the Seville.

The only successful cold call that remember reading about is @Jeff 's DEMO grill.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
A guy down the road from me runs a kennel business. It sits up on a hill and under a huge oak tree is an red mbh.
After about a year of driving by and looking at it I decided to stop in. The guy came around the back from tending to the dogs at the kennel, asks if he could help me and I say "I was wondering if you would be interested in selling your Weber?" He looked at me like I was crazy! He said, "well, probably not, but if I ever do I'll call ya."
He went on to say he doesn't use it much, but it outlived his two other gas grills.
I looked in it and there were wasp nest and other crud growing and the wood handle had algae growing on it. Obviously never used.

I came home and later called him and offered him a run of the black I had along with some money, and never heard back.

I still drive by and look up at the lonely redhead sitting under the big oak. [emoji17][emoji17] It just needs a good home.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
I spotted a 22.5 Avocado on the drive between my folks' place and mine. I stopped and inquired but was told no.

Our oldest son had his mom take him there and he talked her out of it.

It is one of my most cherished possessions. (If you knew how shy my son is around strangers...)

So in a roundabout way, yeah, I scored a grill via a cold call.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Troy

• Statesman
I spotted a 22.5 Avocado on the drive between my folks' place and mine. I stopped and inquired but was told no.

Our oldest son had his mom take him there and he talked her out of it.

It is one of my most cherished possessions. (If you knew how shy my son is around strangers...)

So in a roundabout way, yeah, I scored a grill via a cold call.

That's what I'm talking about.
I love grills with stories. :)
How's the cado?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
I've actually had people cold contact me!

I got an old Japanese Kamado and a Red Weber Junior from a couple local folks that had googled for info on them. Somehow, they had seen posts on the Brethren or TVWBB sites of my restorations and asked me if I was interested in them?

Free of course!

I don't think I'd have the cojones to cold call or stalk a grill, to me thats just too creepy.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:30:28 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
How's the cado?
Pretty sweet! One quarter sized porcelain chip in the lid when I got it.
Then I fell off a ladder and on the grill. Caused a little more porcelain damage (bowl handle and front leg socket), but not bad. Still in wonderful shape...
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Troy

• Statesman
How's the cado?
Pretty sweet! One quarter sized porcelain chip in the lid when I got it.
Then I fell off a ladder and on the grill. Caused a little more porcelain damage (bowl handle and front leg socket), but not bad. Still in wonderful shape...
Hold up.
We need to talk.  Got time for a phone call tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
Hold up.
We need to talk.  Got time for a phone call tomorrow?
More than likely. I'll PM my number.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer

All door knock specials.

I know where a yellow is, too!
[emoji41]
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
YEP...my red fade K code. Girlfriend spotted it, I knocked and told the gentleman I'd like to possibly buy it, he said $20 so i paid him and loaded it up.

WNC

• WKC Performer
First of all, @jcnaz wow! Awesome scores there

I've had two cold calls that went nowhere. One was a Simpsons grill just around the corner from me. It's was in pretty rough shape and the guy just kept it out front, he lives on Main St. too...

Anyway, after a winter of driving by and seeing it sit out there, sometimes knocked over, covered in snow, I thought I'd ask.

He knew what he had, and proceeded to tell how rare it was and how much it was worth. The whole time I was thinking, yeah if you took care of it.

About a week later, the grill is nowhere to be seen, I wonder if he sold it or if someone less scrupulous than me me drove by and took it.

We walk our dogs by there sometimes and I wonder if it did get stolen if he thinks I did it.