Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 4th Annual Chicago Meetup 2016  (Read 38844 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Retired

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: 4th Annual Chicago Meetup 2016
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »
^^^yup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dude, relax your chicken.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2016, 08:31:59 AM »
@Craig  -  So about the lid.....It looks like there was some sort of logo on it at some point that caused that area to not fade as much as the rest of the lid.  Appears to be a cupcake, mushroom, or chefs hat, or at least that is what I make of it.  Interested to see if the darker spot is what you are hinting at and what the story is behind it.

You nailed it, @MikeRocksTheRed (and 56MPG... and dazzo...) Weber logo from 1954.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:35:22 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2016, 06:53:11 PM »
You are correct! I was standing there, admiring the hell out of that grill and noticed that ghost of the chef hat logo.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »
A huge thank you to @zavod44 for being a gracious host for the Meetup. It was a blast to meet all the grillfellas and enjoy some awesome food. Also, thanks Brian for making what appears to be such a lopsided trade! My wife kept saying, "I can't believe you traded that dinky little red grill [Red Wood Dale 18] for this huge one [a copper mist Imperial Sequoia]." She's probably right. Great to meet everyone! Let's do it again!
Growing family = growing kettles!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2016, 09:15:33 AM »
Hey if your happy I'm happy.  If you will take that sequoia and love it and fix it, then I feel the deal was perfect.....

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2016, 09:18:04 AM »
Hey if your happy I'm happy.
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2016, 09:34:16 AM »
Well if every body's happy count me in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »
Seriously though, I'm getting excited for this sequoia. I'm not sure how full of a restoration I'll do, but I was able to pick up a nice piece of redwood board on the cheap a few days ago to replace that missing door panel. Lots of good threads on here have given me inspiration.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2016, 12:34:01 PM »
Also, thanks Brian for making what appears to be such a lopsided trade! My wife kept saying, "I can't believe you traded that dinky little red grill [Red Wood Dale 18] for this huge one [a copper mist Imperial Sequoia]." She's probably right.

Oh, this dinky little, nearly flawless Red Wood Dale MLH 18?

In my eyes, Brian got the better deal...  ;)

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2016, 12:59:42 PM »
@Craig this photo reminds me we had discussed the variation in the radius of the inner triangle rods a while back. This one has the large radius type vs. the more typical tight radius we see today.  Was a conclusion arrived at that anchors one or the other to a particular year(s)? Also wondering about the strap handles on the bowl vs. the molded lid handle. When did that transition occur?
Retired

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2016, 08:02:36 PM »

@Craig this photo reminds me we had discussed the variation in the radius of the inner triangle rods a while back. This one has the large radius type vs. the more typical tight radius we see today.  Was a conclusion arrived at that anchors one or the other to a particular year(s)? Also wondering about the strap handles on the bowl vs. the molded lid handle. When did that transition occur?

This type of triangle I would put back towards 1960-61. I saw this beauty in person but I can't make out from this picture if the bowl handle straps are the early straight cut welds or the curved welds. We know red and the familiar black and white steel wheels existed for sure in 1962 however they did NOT YET in 1958. There's been some 22 Wood Dales out there with that same triangle.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2016, 08:11:03 PM »
Upon further review (pulling up my own camera roll) This Woody Easterner has the later rounded bowl strap handles...

For some reason I didn't snap a pic of the other red 18 Wood Dale that Brian has that used to belong to the family of Dan NY. Brian or anyone have any closeups of that one? Bowl handle shape? I can't believe I didn't snap a shot of that one I'm so mad at myself right now... [emoji17]

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2016, 03:11:20 AM »
Sorry some of these photos are late to get posted.  Much of what I took already has been photographed and posted by other members, but I still have some.  Thanks to Brian, @zavod44 for hosting another successful event!  It was fun to meet so many of the newer members and see those that I have met in the past already.  And BIG thanks to all of the members that traveled so far, and put the effort into making the trip!!

Here are some more pics.

I had my vehicle loaded with as many grills as possible.  14 in total with some of the Smokies.  Thanks for helping unload it guys.

Welcome to the party!

Many of the Wood Dales lined up

Getting setup to cook my chicken lollipops

Some cooking and food pics

A yellow kettle working hard...color transformation in progress

@Scott Zee getting ready to make some fried green tomatoes.  We got out the fire blower to get the extra SUPER hot...enough to get the oil boiling

Later Scott made some blackberry cobbler.  Was very tasty, sorry...no plated pics!   :(

Just "some" of the plated foods!

Couldn't resist getting pics of 4 chestnuts in one place!  May never see that again.
Could different photos, different angles, different lighting

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 03:50:18 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2016, 06:35:03 AM »
awesome pics Jeff, thanks for posting
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"