Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Snake method tri tip HAPPENING NOW...  (Read 2531 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Snake method tri tip HAPPENING NOW...
« on: June 29, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »
So I get home tonight the girlfriend is going to be in charge of dinner ..but I still have 3 tri tips left that have been seasoned (with Tatonka Dust) and food savered (vacuum sealed).. They need to be cooked or they are going to go bad, Well, no better time for a smoke. I get some coals started in my chimney. While they're heating up i set up a 2 x 2 snake, sprinkle with a little mesquite chips, lookin good. OH SHIT, these 2 tri tips aint gonna fit without someone getting crispy edges...I know, stack the deck, I mean grates. So being in a hurry and not planning i'm lookin for a way to elevate a 2nd grill... charcoal baskets, perfect, 2nd grill?, insert for my GBS grate, too wobbly, crap, AH HA, the rectangle grill from my CGA, PERFECT! now if it all just comes together! will keep anyone interested updated.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157670320606046/with/27955595956/
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Snake method tri tip HAPPENING NOW...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:41:26 PM »
So now that I think about it, what's wrong with crispy edges, basically burnt ends of a different style right?...crispy is good!...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 06:11:15 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with crispy edges. Those edges could be one of the building blocks of great barbecue.

Nice use of the gear on hand.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »
i guess what they say is right, "Necessity is the mother of invention"...or in my case, "not thinkin ahead is a pain in the ass"...lol

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 07:14:50 PM »
So 2 hours and it temped out at 150, I think I'll call it done and slice later to see what I have. Didnt get much of a bark or very smokey look to it. I think it ran just a little too hot, i don't know...Look edible, will update after slicing..LOL

PS. pic didnt load but the finished tips are added to the flickr link above
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 07:19:12 PM by varekai »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:01:29 PM »
Album updated... This "project" worked flawlessly!!  She did make dinner, Gnocchi, but when she found out I did tri tip and then smelled it while it was resting she wanted to have tri tip also... OK,  FINE WITH ME!!!  SO GOOD!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 07:19:36 AM »
@varekai

GREAT COOKUP !!!

A lot of times I'll just do them off to the side, but your "upper deck" rigging is grate !!!

Sorta like the "MacGyver Upper Deck Smoking Rack".....another 'wow, I need more space quick' invention !!

Way to think on your toes & fix up a rig to git 'er done!!!!

Doing a chain or snake for tri-tip puts you right on the edge of a magical cliff.....

....long burn tri done for pulled beef.....done overnite like pork butt or brisket, see here ~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/something-different/msg6679/#msg6679

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »
Nice man! You got great color on those t/t. That's the new redhead with "custom" handles you picked up recently too, right. Good deal all around, bud!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 01:07:35 PM »
That tri tip looked great!!!!  Nicely done.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 08:19:45 AM »
@varekai

GREAT COOKUP !!!

A lot of times I'll just do them off to the side, but your "upper deck" rigging is grate !!!

Sorta like the "MacGyver Upper Deck Smoking Rack".....another 'wow, I need more space quick' invention !!

Way to think on your toes & fix up a rig to git 'er done!!!!

Doing a chain or snake for tri-tip puts you right on the edge of a magical cliff.....

....long burn tri done for pulled beef.....done overnite like pork butt or brisket, see here ~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/something-different/msg6679/#msg6679

Thanks 1buckie, your set up is pretty slick!
Nice man! You got great color on those t/t. That's the new redhead with "custom" handles you picked up recently too, right. Good deal all around, bud!

Thank you Travis, and yes, Its the red with "Custom" handles..LOL

and Thanks, MikeRocksTheRed.