Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: If I have the 5 lb performer tank will part 7502 work to convert to regular tank  (Read 2513 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Brand new never opened Weber QCC1 hose and regulator kit.
what else would i need?

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
On my EI Code Performer It's a quick release 5# tank OPD.  Si is the QCC1 option plug and play or what would I need.  I'm just so confused reading through the threads
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

varekai

• WKC Ranger
if the "grill" end of the 2 hoses are the same then I think yes it should "plug n play"... I have the same thing with one of my gassers and will check to make sure my response is correct when I get home tonight. Plus I just looked around at the bbq bretheren site and it seems to have been done.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
if the "grill" end of the 2 hoses are the same then I think yes it should "plug n play"... I have the same thing with one of my gassers and will check to make sure my response is correct when I get home tonight. Plus I just looked around at the bbq bretheren site and it seems to have been done.

Thanks man.  A Local guy is selling the part new in the box so I'd grab it if it will allow me to continue to use the GA on my 1st Gen performer after the propane runs out in the 5 gallon tank.  I appreciate it.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Hope it works like I read and what I suggested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
@captjoe06
The connector on that 7502 is also known as an "acme nut." It screws on by hand. It's not a "quick release" connector, which uses a collar you pull back to connect/disconnect the regulator side to the tank.

So the answer here depends on what type of connection(s) your tank allows.

My Performer came with an aftermarket 5lb tank, with both acme fitting (you'd see the threads on the outside) and something else that wasn't quick-release, but required a wrench. In other words, mine also has threads inside the valve.

See these 2 or 3 large threads on the OUTSIDE of the tank valve? That's what your tank needs in order to use an acme nut such as the 7502 has.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
@addicted-to-smoke Thank you so much. 

I appreciate your response.  I guess what I'm really trying to figure out though and I know I didn't articulate it properly-

I don't really care if I use the 5 Lb tank.  I actually would prefer to use the small green ones that we use on 2, 3rd and 4th Generation Performers.

Will the opposite end of the 7502 part, the end that is away from the tank just plug right into the burner of a 1st gen Performer and if so, what would my options be if I'd really prefer to go with anything but a huge gas grill tank for a tank?  can I screw that acme nut onto a 1 lb disposable tank and would it be safe?   

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Now that I look at it again, the QCC1 isn't what you want.

If you're familiar with how the hose attaches to a Performer (any generation) burner tube, you know that it just "clips" on with a c-clip or whatever. It doesn't thread. The brass fitting on the QCC1 is threaded ...

As for the other end, look again at the picture I posted. Those are coarse threads (large spaces) for acme connections, whereas a 1lb disposable tank has smaller diameter, fine threads.

You could use an adapter to go from acme to 1lb tank.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Summary:

The hose is the most critical part of any Performer's gas-assist, due to how it connects to the burner tube. I honestly don't know what people do if they need to replace that hose, besides pay out the nose to Weber for a compete assembly (and the ones for first-gens might no longer be available.)

Everything aft of the hose, to the tank, can be adapted to the hose. Regulators, tank connections.

Those 1lb tanks ... you sure you wanna go that route? More money spent.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
@addicted-to-smoke oh it's available.  I called Weber.  For a mere $93 you can get a hose/regulator for a 1st Gen Performer.   

So what you're saying g is I should keep the hose and find a type of converter that would screw on to the tank end if that hose.   Anyone have a part number for that.

The green bottles aren't a whole lot of money compared to a new $56 5lb tank

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
@addicted-to-smoke oh it's available.  I called Weber.  For a mere $93 you can get a hose/regulator for a 1st Gen Performer.   

So what you're saying g is I should keep the hose and find a type of converter that would screw on to the tank end if that hose.   Anyone have a part number for that.

The green bottles aren't a whole lot of money compared to a new $56 5lb tank

The 5lb is cheaper in the long run, and a 20lb tank even more so. And you can't get your 5lb tank recertified? Keep in mind it costs like $5, or less to fill one. I pay like $4 at Ace Hardware.

Anyway, TexasOnion's link is probably the most direct route, combining a regulator, valve, tank fitting and it attaches straight to the burner (I suppose.) Although, with that you get to reach under the grill all the time. https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Portable-Regulator-throwaway/dp/B000DZKZLQ?ie=UTF8&ref_=dp_cp_ob_lg_title_0

This one takes the place of your quick-connect fitting. Just remove yours from your existing regulator. You still need to rig a tank support somehow. You could also find a hose with a quick-connect fitting on one end and and the 1lb connection on the other.

You could also replace everything but the burner with a 2nd-gen's setup, but even at $33 there's no way any of that is less expensive than keeping what you have and recertifying the tank.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Thanks so much for the food for thought.  If the frame was in better shape I'd probably decertify the tank in a heartbeat.  It's been off with my buddy for a couple days now who is a really good welder.  I told him not to go crazy, that If he could just get it stable I'd be psyched.  He's the type of guy that might go crazy making it better than I asked. If he does I'll probably decertify it.  I'll make that call when I get it back. Thanks for the tips!