Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restoration Question.  (Read 2176 times)

BMitch

• Smokey Joe
Restoration Question.
« on: June 30, 2016, 04:44:01 AM »
What do you guys use to polish all of the legs, ash pans, dampers, etc. Some of them look amazing! I want to try.
Looking for green, red, blue mbh...  Acocado, yellow, or lime.

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Restoration Question.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 04:50:10 AM »
I like Mothers Aluminum Polish. I found it at an Auto Zone or one of those car places.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 05:38:39 AM »
Mothers aluminum and mag polish, knorostoll, flitz, and neverdull all work well. I'll hit heavily pitted parts with a progression of abrasives first.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 06:04:04 AM »
I'll hit heavily pitted parts with a progression of abrasives first.

I also recommend Mother's aluminum polish. I only use it on the top vent and ash pan, as I prefer the brushed aluminum look on the legs.  I just recently started using the progression of emery cloths working on my second restoration. My first restoration I used only fine emery cloth and it took forever.  Process goes much quicker now on the heavily pitted and metal stained legs.  I finish with #0000 steel wool and leave them at that.  Here is how it looks with the legs left in the brushed aluminum finish contrasting with the polished ash pan. It is all about personal preference. You will find the ash pan the most challenging as they are usually the most pitted. Be prepared for a long and arduous job on restoring ash pans.  Follow the tutorial on ash pan restoration:

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/ash-pan-clean-up-and-polish-procedure/.

Good luck and have fun. The results are worth the journey.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:14:29 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 06:41:36 AM »
The best thing out there that I know of, however it's hard to find is Rolite Supra 90.  Hands down the best, to me it blows mothers into the garbage.  As I said it's hard to find, it's professional grade.  You can find it from aircraft supply places.  I order mine from aircraft spruce....I also use something called sunshine cloths.  Again they are hard to find.  I get them from a jewelry supply called Rio Grande.  This combination is superior.  Not saying you can't get results with other stuff, but the phrase work smarter not harder truly applies here.  I polish a lot of aluminum at work at this is what we use.  The guy across the street works for United as a mechanic and he uses it as well to polish tree airplanes...If you have a chance I strongly recommend

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 09:32:43 AM »
This is a great thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »
The best thing out there that I know of, however it's hard to find is Rolite Supra 90.  Hands down the best, to me it blows mothers into the garbage.  Not saying you can't get results with other stuff, but the phrase work smarter not harder truly applies here. If you have a chance I strongly recommend

Anything that will save me time on polishing ash pans will be worth the cost.  Just want to make sure this is the stuff you are recommending Brian? Is it the 2lb size for $65 listed on Aircraft Spruce?

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 12:40:02 PM »
That's what I order. That combined with sunshine cloths is a special combo

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

BMitch

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 06:57:07 PM »
Thanks fellas, lots of good feedback here.
Looking for green, red, blue mbh...  Acocado, yellow, or lime.