Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Whatever's in the freezer  (Read 1049 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Whatever's in the freezer
« on: June 29, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »
6 frozen wings
some corn
some broccoli

wings in the center, char baskets on either side / cooked for about 40 mins / tossed them on frozen and bare / basted with sriracha ("red rooster") & a bourbon glaze sauce & honey last few minutes over high heat etc. Overall, wings were on the grill about an hour. Maybe more, I forgot.

veggies in a small CI pan, no seasoning / direct, then indirect for about 10-15 mins

carried everything back inside just as you see it / ate it straight from the pan / wings were some of the best evah, and the veggies were fine, too

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Whatever's in the freezer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:56:48 PM »
Lookin GOOD!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »
You would be good on the Chopped Challenge!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 11:37:03 AM »
Great use of what was on hand!  I keep forgetting that people have good results cooking wings from frozen.  I may have to take your lead and do a freezer scavenger hunt soon.  My freezer is getting too full!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:04:19 PM »
Mixing leftover fridge sauces/condiments and such is an easy cheat for sure. But I think adding the honey to the sauce was the thing that did the trick here. I will be doing that again. Nice and sticky wings, with a honey sweet that took the hot edge off.

It'll be a long time before I cook thawed wings again. I never see just first and second pieces, just entire wings. And separating them is a pain. But a bag of frozen, and for whatever reason that's how they come, as they should (no tips, and separated.)

Of course, brining/marinating etc isn't going to happen if frozen, but they cook "bare" OK. Some wanted to stick a little, but I'd left them alone for a good 40 mins before turning them. Probably should have gotten to them sooner. But once they were done and then sauced at the grill, it was magic time. :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch