Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tip Top Temp NOOB  (Read 2684 times)

ReverendMike

• Smokey Joe
Tip Top Temp NOOB
« on: July 01, 2016, 07:22:29 AM »
Ok, I was at my local Weber shrine and right there at eye level was a stack of Tip Top Temps. Being that I'm multitasking a pig in the La Caja China and briskets in the Kettles, I grabbed two -- one for each Kettle.

I have less than 48 hours to get these things dialed in for the brisket cook. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
Re: Tip Top Temp NOOB
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 07:40:24 AM »
Depends on  your coal management strategy  (SnS, coal snake, coal baskets) The boxed info says to just use "a pile on the grate"

You will be dealing with a lot of ash & potential refueling the Larger the Briskets you have planned (I'd quarter them at Least)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
Be mindful of the sun/shade setup as ambient temp will affect (effect?) the coil's open/close state also

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 07:46:29 AM »
Worst case scenario the Caja tends to cook ridiculously quick (given the quantity it holds)

ReverendMike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 08:25:06 AM »
My biggest concern is closing the bottom vent 100% as instructed. I have snake cooking down pat, but I always leave the bottom vent 100% open and control the airflow with the top vent. I'm afraid if I close the bottom vent, it won't be enough air to keep it lit.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 08:43:10 AM »
My biggest concern is closing the bottom vent 100% as instructed. I have snake cooking down pat, but I always leave the bottom vent 100% open and control the airflow with the top vent. I'm afraid if I close the bottom vent, it won't be enough air to keep it lit.

LOL.  You are just the opposite of me.  I like to leave my top vent wide open and control with the bottom vent.  A lot of people here leave the top vent open and the bottom is usually just barely cracked for slow and low when doing it that way, so while I have concerns over closing the bottom all the way with the tip top, it isn't much of a difference from the way I usally cook slow-n-low.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 08:54:34 AM »
I have read that you need to use the bottom vent and leave it open a bit (similar to your normal smoke setting just more forgiving), you won't get proper airflow otherwise. The closed bottom vent is more for the BGE's out there.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 09:30:51 AM »
IMO Tip-Top will do Best via Minion style coal setup (hence first question)

The Snake "setup" is it's own cooking method (will work w/o using T-T)

@ABCbarbecue can attest to the usefulness of just top vent control (when using Slow n Sear)
I would assume the Tip-Top pairs nicely with the SnS, but again each "device" can be its own method

ReverendMike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
The only reason I'm pairing the TTT with the snake is to keep the wife from having to make fine adjustments every 30 mins or so. I'm going to be about 600 yards away from the Kettles so it's not easy for me to monitor them while I'm also managing the Caja China cook.

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »
Time to bust out the bicycle.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 12:09:24 PM »
a big Brisket can be forgiving, I'd not worry or maybe even go a little hot & if it's not finishing to your liking/timing you could still transfer it to the Caja (as backup oven)
(after some smoke & bark has developed, it won't pickup much flavor.)

How'd you marinate the Caja cook (pig?) I recommend MOJO marinade/injection, very acidic & delicious w/ pork

ReverendMike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 12:21:13 PM »
My wife and I make our own mojo for the pig. Brine it 24 hours in the mojo and then inject it before it goes in the box. Briskets get salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 07:53:53 AM »
I have and love my tip top. Mine is used on a WSM. As far as dialing in... Doesn't really work like that. Bring the grill to temp, before putting it on (or it will take forever to get there). Open about 1/3, and you may have to tweak it a bit. Once settled in, it stays rock solid within a few degrees.
Still need a 22” yellow