Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Corn and Tater Ring  (Read 5355 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Corn and Tater Ring
« on: June 29, 2016, 07:20:49 AM »
While visiting STL, @Bob BQ, being a great guy, gave me a corn and tater ring.  I've since lugged it in the back of my prius to the upper peninsula of Michigan, and now Ann Arbor, MI, where it saw action last night.  Cool accessory!  Eventually it will travel back across country to Las Vegas...It's taken up some room in the car, but it's been worth it for the questions my relatives have asked.  I did twelve ears of corn on it last night on my brother in law's grill.  The lid didn't close perfectly, but the pork loin, potatoes (four on grill, four in the basement), and corn seemed to be no worse for wear.  I used the advice from @mike.stavlund I found here on the forums to cook the corn (about 45 minutes).  It was perfect! 

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Corn and Tater Ring
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 07:29:54 AM »
Very cool story.  Great group of guys here on the forums for sure.  I usually do corn in the husks, which is one of those things that people do 100 different ways.   When I do mine, I usually cut some of the stem off then trim the silks that are hanging out.  The silk part really is just cosmetic, but the stalk trim is so I can soak the corn in a bucket of water for about an hour before cooking.  The cut stalk in my opinion allows water to soak into the corn easier.  The main reason I am explaining my cooking corn method, is that trimming some or most of the stalk might have shortened your corn enough for the lid to fit tight.  One of these days I'll have a corn a tator ring and will be able to experiment myself!!!!! 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 07:36:15 AM »
Wow, @crowderjd !!  Nice work!  Congrats on the epic score of a CnT Ring, and I love the way you maximize the space on that single grill.  That's beautiful. 

And @MikeRocksTheRed I haven't been organized enough to soak my corn (I'll try that this summer), but I have found that cutting the stalk a bit allows a more secure attachment to the CnTR, and also gives more headspace under the lid.  That's a great tip.

Another tip I picked up on these great forums is that the CnTR makes a perfect elevator for an 18.5 food grate.  So you can do double-decker cooking/smoking.   
One of the charcoal people.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 07:38:29 AM »
Wow, @crowderjd !!  Nice work!  Congrats on the epic score of a CnT Ring, and I love the way you maximize the space on that single grill.  That's beautiful. 

And @MikeRocksTheRed I haven't been organized enough to soak my corn (I'll try that this summer), but I have found that cutting the stalk a bit allows a more secure attachment to the CnTR, and also gives more headspace under the lid.  That's a great tip.

Another tip I picked up on these great forums is that the CnTR makes a perfect elevator for an 18.5 food grate.  So you can do double-decker cooking/smoking.

Oh!!!!  OK, now I really want one. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:59:39 AM »
@crowderjd ... great to see my old spare CnT getting some use!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:17:37 AM »
I think I would trim the stalks next time.  Thanks for the tip!  However, with just soaking for 20 minutes and tossing 12 ears on and shoving the lid down, it worked pretty sweet!  3.5 lb loin, 8 taters, and 12 ears of corn on a 22 inch grill fed 9 people!  The corn was juicy and tender, everyone loved it.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 12:39:06 PM »
I would definitely cut the stalks down on the bottoms to a bare minimum.  I have a few of these rings...you said you had to lug the ring?  Is the Prius that underpowered?  It can't weigh more than two pound....plus that whole 22" ring was taking up all that space.  I'm thinking maybe you need a trailer for heavy stuff like that.  Imagine if you found a cast iron griddle...you would have to get a car top carrier! If the roof could support it....

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »
HA!  LOVE IT :)  @zavod44 when hauling two kids, four suitcases, two violins (don't get me started on that) fishing poles, books, electronics etc...the corn and tater ring doesn't exactly pack easily in the back of the car, which leads to some eye rolls as we take it cross country!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »
Man, that really held a lot of food and made available space. Good job, man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 04:34:26 PM »
Listen, I'm on the way back from the National Girls Volleyball Championships where my kid was playing.  My car is packed...oh and BTW if your hauling all that crap maybe the Prius isn't the right vehicle  :^)

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 05:16:57 PM »
True that about the prius!

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »
Very nice, Jason. Going to have find one of those corn n tater rings.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 07:58:50 AM »
Great looking cook @crowderjd and another great story of WKC members helping each other out!

@MikeRocksTheRed I'm on the lookout for a CnT ring too.  In the mean time the Weber 3802 Vegetable Holders work pretty well and you can use as many/few as are necessary for your cook.
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-3802-Vegetable-Holder/dp/B00004U9VD?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 08:11:08 AM »
Great looking cook @crowderjd and another great story of WKC members helping each other out!

@MikeRocksTheRed I'm on the lookout for a CnT ring too.  In the mean time the Weber 3802 Vegetable Holders work pretty well and you can use as many/few as are necessary for your cook.
https://www.amazon.com/Weber-3802-Vegetable-Holder/dp/B00004U9VD?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top

Interesting....I've never seen the Vegtable holders before.  They seem a bit pricey once you factor in the shipping though.  I'll remain vigilant for a Corn and Tator ring!!!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 08:17:10 AM »

Interesting....I've never seen the Vegtable holders before.  They seem a bit pricey once you factor in the shipping though.  I'll remain vigilant for a Corn and Tator ring!!!

The listing is a little vague, but there are 4 per pack if that helps...
Wanted: Burgundy 18"