Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fire Butler and Tip Top Temp controller  (Read 4483 times)

Robert

• WKC Brave
Fire Butler and Tip Top Temp controller
« on: June 27, 2016, 04:11:09 AM »
I guess I'm somewhat of a gadget freak.  I have the Slow-n-Sear, which I like, and the Vortex, which I love.  Ran across the Fire Butler yesterday on FB and came over here and did a search and found about four posts with not much love given to the unit.  Anybody had any more recent experience with one?  Or does the price cause hesitation to purchase?  I see they have a $30 discount for July Fourth, but it doesn't say when it expires. 

Was thinking it might work with a Tip Top Temp controller for grilling chicken breast on the 26 inch for competition.

Any thoughts or opinions.

Thanks,

Robert

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Fire Butler and Tip Top Temp controller
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 08:04:18 AM »
The tip top holds temps really well, all on its own.
Still need a 22” yellow

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:05:53 AM »
I have never heard of the fire butler. Looks interesting but pricey. I love gadgets, but one thing I love about the kettle is its simplicity and that you don't need a bunch of gadgets to use it.  I have trouble buying a gadget/tool that costs more than the kettle itself.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

agensop

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:27:03 PM »
im seriously debating the firebutler as an early bday gift to myself.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:59:22 PM »
I don't fully understand it.
It seems like a lot of parts. Which means a lot of set up, and a lot of storage.

Looking at 'what it does' - it really seems to only be beneficial for smoking. It lets you use the full grate.
It boasts minimum of 6 hours.... but if the grate is fully loaded, reloading is going to be a pain in the ass

The whole gravity fed thing is cool i guess, but does it solve problems or just create different ones?

I like the slow'n'sear because it can stay in the grill all the time, whether i'm using it or not. If i want to take it out, it's a 5lb (or 8lb) piece of metal. It's easy to store.
The SNS is easy to use and it makes life easier.
The fire butler looks like an alpha product contraption.
What am i missing? why is this appealing to some of you?

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 02:43:19 AM »
I think it they created a problem, then solved it. No appeal here.

bnovak282

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 06:32:52 AM »
I have used the TTT on my Akorn Kamado a couple times. Once you figure it out, it holds the temps. Then again, once you figure out the Kamado, it holds the temps all on it's own! I'll give it a try on the Weber this weekend.

The FB - hmm.....heck you can almost buy a Kamado for that price.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:43:08 AM »
Why don't you just put some of the money into meat and charcoal and learn how to cook?
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »
Why don't you just put some of the money into meat and charcoal and learn how to cook?

Seems a bit harsh don't you think?  He is just having a conversation.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
@Robert, I know several people who have them and really love them.  One, in fact, devotes one of his kettles to the Fire Butler.  Along with the extended cooking time and larger cooking surface area, one thing they all like it the "hibachi."  They use it for everything from a nice stir fry to old fashioned flat top burgers to fajitas to a traditional Philly cheesesteaks.

I agree with a lot of @Troy's points.  For me, it's very expensive and very cumbersome if you are not going to dedicate a kettle to it, which I cannot do.

The TTT is a different story.  I gave my son-in-law one for his kamado and he loved it.  He did some of his best competition pulled pork using it.  He sold the kamado to get a pellet-pooper, the TTT went with it.

After reading some of the comments here, I'm thinking about trying one, even though I do a pretty good job of maintaining temps the old fashioned way.  After-all, they're just $20.  That's less that a fifth of scotch . . . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 11:30:58 AM »

As am I - If you learn to cook without crutches you'll always be able to cook.  No amount or expense of equipment is going to buy you skill.  If people want to buy stuff because they like to buy stuff it's completely up to them.  No judgement here, but my point is that most of the people buying gizmos and gadgets haven't even explored what their kettle can do straight out of the box.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

agensop

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
i almost pulled the trigger till i checked out shipping... shit i can get an end of season akorn for that price lol even with it being on "sale" ugh....

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 12:09:04 PM »

As am I - If you learn to cook without crutches you'll always be able to cook.  No amount or expense of equipment is going to buy you skill.  If people want to buy stuff because they like to buy stuff it's completely up to them.  No judgement here, but my point is that most of the people buying gizmos and gadgets haven't even explored what their kettle can do straight out of the box.

I think the issue is the tone, and the assumption that the OP doesn't know how to cook.
Probably not the friendliest of assumptions. For all we know, the OP could be the best kettle chef here.

Desire for gadgets != lack of cooking ability

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »

I think the issue is the tone, and the assumption that the OP doesn't know how to cook.
Probably not the friendliest of assumptions. For all we know, the OP could be the best kettle chef here.

Desire for gadgets != lack of cooking ability

Point taken, but reliance on gadgets is something else entirely.  I know nothing about Robert, however it has been my experience (admittedly my opinion solely) that there are folks who like to buy things and folks who like to do things.  Asking strangers for validation to help one rationalize one's own purchasing habits places one in the former category in my book.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 12:53:51 PM »
And in fairness, I believe Robert did ask for ANY thoughts or opinions...