Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Gen1 SS Performer  (Read 4884 times)

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Weber Gen1 SS Performer
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:52:59 AM »
I have had this wonderful old cooker on my “want list” for a few years although I wanted it in either Red Mist or Plum color but just couldn’t find one that was in good enough shape to restore in my area.

Finally an older gentleman in a little town about 15 miles from the house listed a black Gen 1 SS Performer on the Craigslist along with the original cover that looked pretty good.

After seeing it, it did indeed look pretty good but had the wrong lid on it and he didn’t know that as he had bought it used. It had some other problems but I thought it would be a good project to start with as the older Weber parts are pretty easy to get.

I had it in my mind that I didn’t want black as I think about 75% of these cookers came in black but I think this black one will make me a fine cooker. (I’ll keep looking for something suitable in red mist or plum).

Decided to keep the standard Weber lid that was on the cooker as I have never really liked the thermometer mounted in the handle of the lid on the Gen 1 Performers. I purchased a Weber short thermometer along with the Weber Bezel and installed it into the lid. I also purchased the small plastic piece for the vent adjustment tab and installed it and this took care of my lid problem.

Cleaned her up a little and washed all the crud off and found I had a pretty nice old Performer. Purchased new castors and a few other items and got the grill ready for use.

Gonna be fun using this Performer.

I have a SS rotisserie setup that I think would match up nice with this SS Performer and I might just make this my go to rotisserie charcoal cooker.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Weber Gen1 SS Performer
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 02:00:04 AM »
That looks really good. It should last you a long time!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 03:05:30 AM »
Good to go.....beautiful. The roti set up looks really snazzy on there

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 04:19:35 AM »
SSP is a favorite!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T807A using Tapatalk

WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 04:28:31 AM »
Great job on the restore!
I think you're really gonna like this one

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 05:17:14 AM »
Very nice Dave. Maybe a snazzy wood handle would dress er' up a little. Make you like the black more is what I mean. Hey, is that a rib-o-later? If so, when you get around to it, can ya tell us what you think of that? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 03:17:48 PM »
Very nice Dave. Maybe a snazzy wood handle would dress er' up a little. Make you like the black more is what I mean. Hey, is that a rib-o-later? If so, when you get around to it, can ya tell us what you think of that? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis,

I do have a few of the standard Weber wood handles and will put one on the cooker to dress it up a little.

No, that is not a Rib-O-Later but I do have one and haven't tried it on any of my Weber cookers.

The rotisserie setup is an EZ-Que all stainless setup and I have both the 6" as shown, and also the 8" baskets. I use this setup on several of my cookers. This company is no longer in business and they also made many different parts for the Weber line of cookers.

This is my Rib-O Later in a pellet grill. It does a nice job on some items and especially with ribs. It's really just not what I would call a rotisserie cooker as the meat really doesn't rotate. However, with something like ribs, each slab will get very even heat all thru the cooking process. I think it would work well on a kettle with ribs but I would still prefer most other meats in a rotisserie setup that turns the meat over as it cooks. I think a fellow would get a more moist product with a standard setup.

I will try it some ribs in the kettle in the future and post something on how it came out.

Dave

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »
There's nothing wrong with that black Performer.  It looks good.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
Beautiful restoration !
It's always great to see an old Weber find its way to a good home.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »
That is a beauty all cleaned up. I personally dig the black performers. Got a stealth look to them.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »
Great looking black Ssp! I just got a Ssp also and I love it. They are fairly easy to repair and the parts are easy to find.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

beemerron

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »
I picked up a similar rig a couple months ago off CL for $100. I replaced the grate w/ the fancy center cut out type and added a lid thermo (must not be original lid, eh?). I found out today the the modern cover won't fit so I returned it and will order the #8701 later today. I'd been using a little weber for the last few years but it's always windy where I live and dumping ash was a hit or miss thing. I'll post a pic when I can figure how.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:47:08 PM by beemerron »

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 05:35:10 PM »
I really like that performer, very nice!!!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »
Great looking grill. I'm digging the SS roti on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 02:10:44 AM »
It l;ooks like the frame is pretty solid.  Must have been kept in the garage.  Congrats!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM