Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: H Sweep Washer  (Read 2651 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
H Sweep Washer
« on: June 24, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
Is the H Sweep washer available seperately?  I have some HSweeps that could stand to be a little deeper in the bowl for a better seal.  It would be nice to be able to double up the washer to pull the center of the sweeps down and against the bottom of the bowl.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: H Sweep Washer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
Maybe check ereplacements.com?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
Someone here might have an extra one.  When you replace the one touch system in the older SS performers and the cross bar that holds the ash catcher in place is still being used, you have to leave the H washer out for it fit properly.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
Are they installed in the correct sequence?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »
Yes, installed in the correct sequence (I think).  1 on top, 3 on the bottom?

I've looked on-line and at ereplacement.  Have not found just the washer, which seems to be called "H-Drive Assembly" (including, I presume, the bit that sticks through the blades and the washer.)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 01:36:45 PM »
You could try sticking a paper clip between the washer and the arm???
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 01:37:34 PM »
That's gonna be hard to come by. None of the usual suppliers carry just the washer.  Most hardware stores carry fiber oil plug washers. Heat resistant. Have larger openings & diameters, so you could use as a shim between bowl & H-washer.  Otherwise, try bending the blades a little where the H-clip goes through. That should set the blades tighter to the bowl when "snapped" together.

Might sound like a fork/knife scraping a plate if to tight.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
Found a SS washer, 1", at my local hardware.  I've got the SS Ash Sweep.

I think this is going to work.  I do need to open it up just a hair.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »
I fixed one with SS blades by welding a ring to the blades one time. They were in great shape and modding them got me about 5 more years out of them. The fire went right out after that. Unfortunately they screeched like a cat running up a chalkboard because they were to tight though.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 04:54:34 PM »
Can you just bend the blades back so they preload the washer better?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 05:31:06 PM »
Can you just bend the blades back so they preload the washer better?

That's what I've done, so long as the mechanism isn't too corroded and it won't come apart. They inevitably get bent up if you're not fairly regular about scraping crud off them and the bottom of the bowl--once that stuff builds up, it forces the blades to ride up on top, bending them and losing the seal.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »
So, I've got the washer installed. It's a little tight, but not too tight to operate. The blades seal much better.

However, as many of you predicted, it screeches to high hell.

If I leave it, will the screeching lessen?  Will it loosen a little and fit itself to the bowl better?

My other SSP, the blades fit better and I've never had an issue getting bent scraping crud.  I'm pretty good about not letting crud build up. 

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 06:04:01 PM »
I needed to mod the inside of the washer just a hair to get the washer to fit:

The washer was too thick, needed to grind away some thickness:

#3 Blade and fitted washer:

Blade #1 before:

Blade #1 After:

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 06:00:02 AM »
All this time, I thought the washer was supposed to go under the bowl, not on top of the blades. Or maybe I'm thinking of the 7409 instead. I honestly don't remember how I put the last H style together, but it works fine.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 09:03:38 AM »
All this time, I thought the washer was supposed to go under the bowl, not on top of the blades. Or maybe I'm thinking of the 7409 instead. I honestly don't remember how I put the last H style together, but it works fine.

On a 7409 the washer goes underneath.  The 7444 does not have the washer in my pic.  It is additional I am using to improve the fit of the sweep.  I'll probably install it underneath, so there is less voids for gunk to build up in.