Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: One-Touch cleaning sytem  (Read 1671 times)

relayer61

• Smokey Joe
One-Touch cleaning sytem
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »
I'm sure this will be a quick question for someone who's ever taken apart the One-Touch cleaning system. 
I've recently purchased a 1984 and would like to take it all apart but seem to have trouble with the handle.  The thumb screw can be removed easily enough.  I figure that the handle would then just slide off from the 'nut' to where I could pull the 'sweeps' up from inside the bowl but it seems to be either really stuck or not designed to come apart.  Has anyone experienced this before?  I don't want to get too physical with it and break it. 

Troy

• Statesman
Re: One-Touch cleaning sytem
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »
I don't know what to tell you. I've never had the thumb screw actual un-thread. They always just break off with a slight twist.

I always hacksaw the handle off the nut on both sides and replace the whole system with the modern style.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »
I've had that situation occur before.  I got a Phillips head screw driver or an ice pick  (something small enough to put into the hole) and hammered the handle out.  It may help to spray some type of lubricant on it as well before hammering.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:45 AM »
Try lots of PB Blaster....

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 10:49:33 AM »
If the sweeper blades are in good condition, then it's worth trying to save.

I have had success with the above mentioned, as well as some 3 in 1 oil.  THIS stuff

Also, have some patience.   :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »
It'll take a little finesse, but can be done. How easily depends on your tool collection. Have done a couple ways with good results. @Troy is right about switching to new style (when there's no gen.1 ash bucket involved). Would still try to salvage for a future project that has the gen.1 bucket.

Method #1:  Cool a can of penetrating oil in the fridge. Use a propane torch to directly heat the rod, not the nut. Then spray the rod w/ cold penetrating oil. The rapid cool should break the rust bond.

Method #2:  Use an open end wrench to brace the nut. Then hammer lightly against end of rod (air chisel with hammer bit would be preferable).

Method #3:  Cut the rod flush on both sides of nut. Remove & disassemble blades/nut. Secure nut and drill rod out of it. Rod will be about an inch shorter when re-installed.

Method #4:  Haven't had opportunity to try yet, but in theory, it should work. Grind down the fixed end of a C-clamp into a forked end. Put forked end around rod & crank it.
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 02:40:11 PM »
It'll take a little finesse, but can be done. How easily depends on your tool collection. Have done a couple ways with good results. @Troy is right about switching to new style (when there's no gen.1 ash bucket involved). Would still try to salvage for a future project that has the gen.1 bucket.

Method #1:  Cool a can of penetrating oil in the fridge. Use a propane torch to directly heat the rod, not the nut. Then spray the rod w/ cold penetrating oil. The rapid cool should break the rust bond.

Method #2:  Use an open end wrench to brace the nut. Then hammer lightly against end of rod (air chisel with hammer bit would be preferable).

Method #3:  Cut the rod flush on both sides of nut. Remove & disassemble blades/nut. Secure nut and drill rod out of it. Rod will be about an inch shorter when re-installed.

Method #4:  Haven't had opportunity to try yet, but in theory, it should work. Grind down the fixed end of a C-clamp into a forked end. Put forked end around rod & crank it.

Method #5:  Apply bacon to it while its warm.  Pork lube works wonders!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 05:15:12 PM »
Forgot about that method. @MikeRocksTheRed is the only fella I know who will invite the in-laws to stay at his house, and then use some bacon lube to pound the Mrs. while they're asleep. They say that they smell bacon, so he tells them "your daughter & I enjoyed a midnight snack".
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 06:34:22 PM »
Forgot about that method. @MikeRocksTheRed is the only fella I know who will invite the in-laws to stay at his house, and then use some bacon lube to pound the Mrs. while they're asleep. They say that they smell bacon, so he tells them "your daughter & I enjoyed a midnight snack".

So wrong! Hahaha!
Still need a 22” yellow

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 10:03:23 PM »
Most interesting post I've read on a Cleaning System thread in a long time  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

relayer61

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 04:29:59 AM »
Haven't laughed that hard in a long time brewtownbeatdown. 
Thanks for the methods mentioned above.

Go Cubbies!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »
@brewtownbeatdown -  I can't wait to give this a try during out summer trip to the Oceanside, CA with her family!!!!  You are too damn funny!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!