Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP Dating Help  (Read 2229 times)

LPcreation

• Smokey Joe
SSP Dating Help
« on: June 21, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

I picked up a SSP Performer a couple of weeks back, and I just got around to trying to date it.  I can't find a serial number anywhere on the frame, and the bowl has a 2 letter code of DZ, which makes it a 2008?  I know the SS tables stopped being produced in '04 or '05, so I'm wondering if I have an older table with a new bowl?

Any thing on the frame I can use to date it?  The gas hose has a tag with 1998 on it.  I can get some pics if needed.

Thanks in advance!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: SSP Dating Help
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »
Pictures are always helpful. Someone else will chime in with more info. Pictures will make it much easier and quicker.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
the bowl has a 2 letter code of DZ, which makes it a 2008? 

Did you mean the lid?  Indeed, DZ would make the lid a 2008.

The SS performer (gen 1) was build from 1990 to 2004.  I do not know of a date code on anything other than the lid.  Replacement lids are quite common.  Replacement bowls less so (the bowl is pretty well protected by the cart, the main enemy becomes rust).

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
My SSP is a 2004. Under the char bin lid is a rather lengthy label. On that label is the serial number. It should begin with the date code on your vent followed by 7 or 9 numbers.

That's where I found mine.

Cheers, TheBigDawg

LPcreation

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:47:44 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys.  I took some pics but I have to find a place to host them until I can post here.

And you're right Winz, I was referring to the lid, not the bowl. 

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 05:55:37 PM »
Use tapatalk with this forum! Much easier to share pictures!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 08:34:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

I picked up a SSP Performer a couple of weeks back, and I just got around to trying to date it.  I can't find a serial number anywhere on the frame, and the bowl has a 2 letter code of DZ, which makes it a 2008?  I know the SS tables stopped being produced in '04 or '05, so I'm wondering if I have an older table with a new bowl?

Any thing on the frame I can use to date it?  The gas hose has a tag with 1998 on it.  I can get some pics if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Well, first off, I wouldn't try to rush things. First dates are always kind of touchy. I would simply take it to the backyard, and just half a chimney or so. See how it reacts. Maybe a bit of a blush... good sign. Next, after a day or so, try running a full chimney worth of charcoal, see if it gets really hot.... If at that point things are going well, then take a peak under the bowl, and maybe you'll see a serial number or something...

Shit! I gotta stop drinking beer... I'm getting weird ideas!!!!! :P

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
Bravo. I read it the same way at first.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 03:14:25 AM »
My SSP is a 2004. Under the char bin lid is a rather lengthy label. On that label is the serial number. It should begin with the date code on your vent followed by 7 or 9 numbers.

That's where I found mine.

Cheers, TheBigDawg

The two I have both have labels on the bottom of the igniter/gas valve cover plate.

LPcreation

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 11:13:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Well, first off, I wouldn't try to rush things. First dates are always kind of touchy. I would simply take it to the backyard, and just half a chimney or so. See how it reacts. Maybe a bit of a blush... good sign. Next, after a day or so, try running a full chimney worth of charcoal, see if it gets really hot.... If at that point things are going well, then take a peak under the bowl, and maybe you'll see a serial number or something...

Shit! I gotta stop drinking beer... I'm getting weird ideas!!!!! :P

Haha!  That's great!

LPcreation

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 11:33:42 AM »
Trying the whole tapatalk thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk