Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Original Kettle vs Premium Kettle  (Read 13659 times)

NoleFan

• Happy Cooker
Original Kettle vs Premium Kettle
« on: June 21, 2016, 09:31:20 AM »
Ok,
Looking at both the Original and Premium Kettles in 22".  Will need a new grill in the next few weeks, so I will be going new and adding an 18" or 22" used kettle to restore later hopefully.

I am looking at the original and the premium 22"s.  From what I can tell, the original lacks the built in ash bucket, built in thermometer, hinged grate, and handle accessory holder.  I think I could live without all of that (minus the hinged grate).  Since I plan on building a table for it, the accessory holder isn't a deal breaker.  Also, looking online it looks like the built in thermometer isn’t the most accurate either.

I can get the Original 22” with a hinged grate out the door at Lowes for $115.13 and a Premium out the door at Lowes for $144.16.  Will I miss the ash bucket that bad?

Figured the little bit of savings could go to the Slow ‘N Sear.

What are your thoughts?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Original Kettle vs Premium Kettle
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »
Yes, spend the $30, save for a Slow and Sear.  Get the premium over the original, you will not regret it especially on a windy day.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 09:42:57 AM »
Owning both, I can say this, Will you miss it. no, not really, but it definitely is worth the extra 30 bucks. You won't regret it. When you consider how long this grill will last, that extra 30 bucks means squat.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:48:50 AM »
I agree with the above.  Spent the money now and wait on the SnS.

I think that the ash bucket is a must have on your primary cooker, especially if you cook on a wood deck.  It makes ash cleanup a lot easier and provides a level of safety from hot ashes rolling/blowing off of an overfilled pan and falling onto a deck.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

NoleFan

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:50:52 AM »
All very valid points.   Looks like I can get a Copper Premium on eBay for $129.99, how is Weber on warrantying stuff bought new from other online sites?

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:52:22 AM »
I agree with everyone also. My first was an original which was quickly replaced by a one touch gold from craigslist. Ash buckets are very useful and convenient. Looking forward to hear what you get.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »
All very valid points.   Looks like I can get a Copper Premium on eBay for $129.99, how is Weber on warrantying stuff bought new from other online sites?
Once you get it, register it on the Weber site as a gift. You'll have no issues with warranty, even if it was bought used. That's been my experience.

NoleFan

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »
Good to know, can't wait to decide on one to buy!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 10:13:52 AM »
I agree with the above.  Spent the money now and wait on the SnS.

I think that the ash bucket is a must have on your primary cooker, especially if you cook on a wood deck.  It makes ash cleanup a lot easier and provides a level of safety from hot ashes rolling/blowing off of an overfilled pan and falling onto a deck.

The convenience of having the attached ash catcher assembly on the Premium kettles is well worth it.  If you BBQ frequently, it is so much easier to just sweep the ashes and empty the bucket whenever full.  With the frisbee style ash catcher on the Original, I find it does not always catch all of the ash.  Any warranty issues are dealt with by Weber as to the age or your kettle.  They carry 10 year warranty.  If you have any warranty issues, Weber customer service will just ask for numbers off your kettle that indicate the age.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 10:26:47 AM »
As long as it is less than 10 years old they will Warranty it!  Have you checked Craigslist or any of those kinds of sites.  There are usually a lot more new grills than old grills on those sites...at least where I am that is the case.  Lot of them still new in the box.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

NoleFan

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 10:35:56 AM »
There is a serious shortage of webers on CL around my area, not sure why.  I would love to have a performer.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
There is a serious shortage of webers on CL around my area, not sure why.  I would love to have a performer.

I'm glad I read all the way down to your last post because I was going to suggest a Craigslist Performer.  I don't think two weeks go by in my location when a used Performer couldn't be had for around $150. And a performer with gas assist in decent shape for $150 will last a long while and is really useful.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 01:40:28 PM »
Nothing wrong with the supplied baskets but I really like the addition of the Slow N Sear.  It takes it up a notch. 

NoleFan

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »
Looking at getting a Crimson Premium from BBQ Guys.  Will be starting off any smoking I do banking the coals to one side or doing the snake method.

Knowing this, should I just stick to the black to bypass any issues with the colors?

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 04:54:49 PM »
If I were buying new, I would get the ash catcher.