Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow-N-Sear Plus now available  (Read 6269 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Slow-N-Sear Plus now available
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:30:48 AM »
After reading everyone raving about the SNS, I decided to order the new SNS+ today.  This went on line yesterday.

http://slownsear.com/product/slow-n-sear-plus/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:52:51 PM by ClubChapin »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Slow-N-Sear Plus now available
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 04:22:16 PM »
I sure would like to have one of those someday. Looks like really good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »
Damn it @ABCbarbecue!  LOL.  I was thinking all I needed now was a SNS XL, now there is an SNS Plus?  You're killing me!!!!  Although I use my SNS so much I wouldn't mind having 2 for the 22's and one for my 26er.  Keep a grill at my GF's siter and BIL's house and am always having to tote my SNS back and forth.

Came up with something another idea, not sure if it would sell or not...  I'm always dumping coals into my empty water reservoir accidentally when using the SNS for hot cooks.  It's never a problem with slow cooks where I am pouring coals in the SNS from the bag, just when dumping a full lit chimney.  Ever think of doing a water reservoir cover?  I suppose I could just throw some foil over it.  I can usually scoop out the dropped coals with tongs, and sometime I actually leave them there for a little more searing room.  I suppose I could also just slow down a bit and be more careful.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 07:53:09 PM »
Mike you're looking at it all wrong... the way I see it you have another really cool gadget to acquire=)

Isn't more better to have more things that are worth going on the wish list? ;)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 08:03:06 AM »
Mike you're looking at it all wrong... the way I see it you have another really cool gadget to acquire=)

Isn't more better to have more things that are worth going on the wish list? ;)

You have a point, but I usually get impatient waiting for my b-day or xmas to roll around and start making my wish list happen on my own.  Can I just setup direct deposit with you guys and you just ship me something new at the end of each month?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 05:48:30 PM »
Just returned from a trip to find this on my doorstep:

What is especially good cooked with this?

Any tips for lighting with a Performer Gas Assist?

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:32:50 AM »

What is especially good cooked with this?

What do you really enjoy cooking?
After reading everyone raving about the SNS, I decided to order the new SNS+ today.  This went on line yesterday.

http://slownsear.com/product/slow-n-sear-plus/
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 03:40:32 AM »
I cook steaks with the sear & slide methodology with my Slow 'n Sear.
1. Salt steak both sides with kosher salt and stick it in the refrigerator for an hour for steaks to absorb the salt
2. Pull the steaks and let it come to room temperature for about 30 mins
3. Light up 1/2 chimney of coals and put it in the slow & sear and wait for the kettle to heat up
4. Rub the steaks with some oil and salt-free rub or just plain coarse ground pepper
5. After 10-15 minutes, sear the steaks on top of the Slow 'n Sear 90 seconds each side keeping the kettle lid closed to take care of any flare ups
6. Slide the steaks to the cool zone and finish cooking until the desired temperature (checking temps using my Thermapen) .. I am medium rare person while rest of the family is medium/medium well/leather

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 03:58:17 AM »

Came up with something another idea, not sure if it would sell or not...  I'm always dumping coals into my empty water reservoir accidentally when using the SNS for hot cooks.  It's never a problem with slow cooks where I am pouring coals in the SNS from the bag, just when dumping a full lit chimney.  Ever think of doing a water reservoir cover? 

I do the same thing,  Thanks for the idea.  Home Depot sells flashing that bends easy.  Cut a piece a wood the width you want and bend it over that.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
I'm very interested in this setup but I have some questions to the folks that have experience with this accessory.  I've only been cooking with lump charcoal since I switched from gas grilling.  Does anyone here use lump with their slow n sear and if so what are the burn times before having to add more fuel or adjust vents?  I'm looking into buying 2 of these which would be about $230.  Would I be better off saving for a WSM or is this just as easy and effective?
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 10:55:06 AM »
I'm very interested in this setup but I have some questions to the folks that have experience with this accessory.  I've only been cooking with lump charcoal since I switched from gas grilling.  Does anyone here use lump with their slow n sear and if so what are the burn times before having to add more fuel or adjust vents?  I'm looking into buying 2 of these which would be about $230.  Would I be better off saving for a WSM or is this just as easy and effective?

Lump works great in the Slow 'N Sear, but I'll be honest I prefer briquettes.  A load of briquettes will burn 30 minutes to an hour longer than lump (both are good for 8+ hours), they are easier to measure, there's less dust and tiny pieces to deal with, and it's easier to make your briquettes level when you're getting ready to sear and want even heat under the meat.

Lump works great, I just prefer briquettes.  You'll want the Slow 'N Sear Plus for your kettles as the plate holds lump better than the stock grate.  Personally I think two kettles with SnS kicks a WSM's butt.  They produce the same quality food but the kettle/SnS is easier to use and clean up, and you can sear!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 11:07:04 AM »

Lump works great in the Slow 'N Sear, but I'll be honest I prefer briquettes.  A load of briquettes will burn 30 minutes to an hour longer than lump (both are good for 8+ hours), they are easier to measure, there's less dust and tiny pieces to deal with, and it's easier to make your briquettes level when you're getting ready to sear and want even heat under the meat.

Lump works great, I just prefer briquettes.  You'll want the Slow 'N Sear Plus for your kettles as the plate holds lump better than the stock grate.  Personally I think two kettles with SnS kicks a WSM's butt.  They produce the same quality food but the kettle/SnS is easier to use and clean up, and you can sear!

Thanks for the reply!  I'll add 2 to my birthday list for next month.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 12:02:24 PM »
Any tips for lighting/using the SNS?  Is the included instructions the best way to Low&Slow?

For searing, either dump chimney of lit coals or light in SNS until ashed over?

Any special tips for lighting with Performer Gas Assist?  Just light a dozen coals in one end until ashed over then fill with unlit?

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »
Will the bottom plate in the SNS Plus hinder using a performer gas assist to start the coals?

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 01:57:30 PM »
Our instructions for searing are on our website, and they vary a bit depending on what you're cooking. 

Here's our main lighting instructions page: http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!slow-n-sear-lighting-instructions/c1r27

And use this page if you are cooking steak or similar meats where you want a low amount of smoke flavor:  http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!stea/c1xle

Lighting with the propane ignition system is pretty straightforward, so I'm not sure what exactly I'd tell you about it.  Place the coals you want lit over the flame, then move them as needed (over to side for low and slow or spread out if hot and fast).

One note about the gas assist.  I have gas assist and use it all the time.  Works great, but it does cause the bottom plate to ripple (warp slightly).  It doesn't affect performance and I've found the more you use the gas the warping eventually flattens out.