Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Time for another Adventure™  (Read 3594 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
Time for another Adventure™
« on: June 12, 2016, 04:23:36 PM »
Since the Copper SSP is pretty much done for now (still haven't had a chance to cook on it because of a family reunion this weekend), it's time to start something new.

This came up on Craigslist near STL this morning. I tried PM'ing the link to some members in the area, and emailed the seller to hopefully get ahead of the line and hold it for them. The seller got back to me almost immediately and said that someone had called and was on the way to pick it up, but would email and hold it if she didn't show up in an hour.

90 minutes later, the email came back and said I could get it before 4:30 or after 7:30. Since I hadn't had a response from any WKC'ers yet, the lovely wife and I loaded up and headed to STL. Half hour in, and I get a response that a WKC'er had just gotten home from work, tried the seller and it was "GONE." So I had the wife PM back that I had it on hold, but would turn around if he'd let me know asap...but by the time he did I was almost there. Sorry, guys, I tried to be a decent WKC member, but didn't want it to fall into "enemy" hands.

So now I have another black DA code SSP that's in fair condition, with dents on the rim and some scratches on the lid. Starting to speckle. Has no tank or regulator.

Will see what some TLC and new parts can do.

After we got back to town and getting ready to walk into a restaurant for a bite, another blue Gen 2(?) Performer showed up on Craigslist in KC. I showed the CL post to the wife, who says "ooh, it matches my eyes, you should get it for my birthday" which is in two weeks.

Does it never end?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Time for another Adventure™
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »
Give that woman a big hug brother. She's a good woman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 05:17:36 PM »
Here are some condition pics before any cleanup. I have to remove the bowl and accessories to get the frame in the back of my pickup (short bed Dakota with camper shell and some custom built-in dog boxes), so it's already in pieces when it arrives home.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »
Still waiting on the regulator assembly and thermometer from Weber - should be here early next week.

I will do the "Winz hide the bottle" mod, but try to get the on/off valve in the right spot if I can - will the new hose reach that far?

So far total cost is $20 for the grill, and a can of paint. Some miscellaneous cleaning supplies (sandpaper, steel wool, razors, etc.)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »
Oops. Forgot $6.50 for the new casters.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 05:32:50 AM »
New regulator and hose arrived from Weber last night. Fabricated a mounting bracket for the regulator and propane bottle from 3/4" flat aluminum stock and attached to the frame with 8-32 machine screws.

Dimension of the mounting bracket, from the handle end of the frame:  4.5" horiz - 4" down - 11.5" horiz - 4" up - 2" horiz - 26" total length. Drilled holes through frame and bracket, and another hole for the regulator screw.

My original plan called for two brackets, but I decided that one would be sufficient for a grill that didn't move much. I would have had to realign a bit to use two - at the current location the second would interfere with the igniter. With two, I think the propane bottle and regulator would be very secure even for transport.

On a side note, the flame from the burner tube isn't nearly as intense as on my Copper SSP. This makes me think maybe the regulator on the Copper isn't working correctly?

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 05:51:34 AM »

Nice @haeffb !

Thanks!

Between you and @Winz, and spending time at the propane dealer yesterday and finding out that re-certing my quick disconnect tanks (x2 5# and one 20#) ain't gonna be worth it, I may just have to do this.

(although, I'm still gonna drive by UHaul and see if they'll fill the tanks   :o )

The regulator and hose assembly (74237) worked OK with the burner?
Dude, relax your chicken.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 05:53:53 AM »
That's a cool mod.

I wonder if flame intensity is different due to different regulator for disposable vs reusable bottles?  Wonder if it is similar flame to a gen2,3, or 4?

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:57:00 AM »

The regulator and hose assembly (74237) worked OK with the burner?

The regulator and hose assembly fit perfectly with the old burner tube. I don't think there have been any changes in the burner tube with the different model Performers?

FYI, a local welding supply shop (SJ Smith) quoted me $10 to recertify my 5lb tank. Haven't done it yet, because they want it to be empty of propane.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 06:15:47 AM »

Thanks again.

My current PoA...

if UHaul = [No]
   then [Local Welding Supply]
if Local Welding Supply = [No]
   then [Adventure™]

;D

Dude, relax your chicken.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 06:22:36 AM »
@haeffb Nice execution.  That support looks stout and keeping the regulator control in the same place as the original is a great idea.  Very well done.

Regarding flame - my mod on Bisbee seems to produce flame that is comparable to what I use to get with the original tank.   

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 06:28:24 AM »
Do the two regulator types have different length hoses?

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 06:36:28 AM »
Great mod! I want to do this with my plum ssp. That bracket looks great and provides the extra support. I was lucky enough to be able to get my 5# tank filled but they told me to get it re-certified before I get it filled again. Would you recommend the new style igniter or the original? My igniter is broke so wasn't sure which one to replace it with.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 06:55:09 AM »
The old hose is roughly 12" and the new hose is about 15". But the old regulator is bigger than the new, so overall length is close to the same.

You can see better in this pic - the hose is stretched pretty far to reach. You could modify the dimensions of the bracket to move the regulator a little closer to the bowl end and still be within the cutout in the plate.

Not sure on the igniter question - I'm still using the original igniter switch on both.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 07:00:32 AM »
Additional info - the aluminum is 1/8" X 3/4". An 8' section was $14.99 at Ace hardware. You could probably chop a couple of inches off the bracket to make a 24" piece work. I connected to the "upper" part of the brace near the bowl to get extra length for sliding the bottle in and out. Connecting to the "lower" part would work and still give enough room, but it would be tight.