Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Burger Throwdown - Louisiana SPAM & Cod Po'Boys  (Read 1750 times)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Burger Throwdown - Louisiana SPAM & Cod Po'Boys
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:33:56 PM »
Well, here I am again late as usual  ::)    I've been wanting to make Po'Boy sandwiches for some time now, so why not now.   Found a sale on Jalapeno SPAM (remember that stands for Pork & Ham) so couldn't resist.  We had a totally beautiful day here yesterday and a very relaxed chance to cook.

Let's start off with the Po'Boy Creole Seasoning.  It's essential to the Remoulade Sauce and a Po'Boy ain't a Po'Boy without Remoulade Sauce.

That gets mixed up thoroughly, and package for next weeks NOLA cook.

Next are the ingredients for the Po'Boys themselves.  I chose to do a typical sandwich with crusty bread, but non-typical using Jalapeno infused SPAM.  I also had to make a more typical fish style version since my wife loves Alaskan cod and hates SPAM (what's her problem, right?).

You can see the fix'ns for the Cuban Black Beans w/ peppers, the smoked bell peppers, and the Vadalia onion, tomato, and NOLA slaw.

Here is what some of the vegies and the filet look like before it's there turn-to-burn ...

Decided on my C&B GG Performer (I just can't say no to that girl).

Settled on Mesquite Lump charcoal w/ a couple of chunks of Mesquite for additional smoke flavor.  Ready to sit back and wait for everything to hit temp.

Just sit'n and sun'n ...

Getting close to the end zone ...

Take a peek, yep they look ready.  Like my SPAM like my Rib Eye, nice mahogany color :)

Time to plate up the Cod w/ some peppers and Cuban beans ...

And now the Jalapeno SPAM Po'Boy ...

What a fun afternoon.  I was amazed how good these tasted with the fresh Remoulade Sauce and Creole Slaw.  You got to give it a try.  I've got the recipe for the actual measurements if anyone is interested.  The Creole Powder might just make an interesting Rub or coating for Oysters ?   As always, keep cooking and thanks for checking out my pics.                                   SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Burger Throwdown - Louisiana SPAM & Cod Po'Boys
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:58:21 PM »
Man that sit' and sun'n pic just says it all, great relaxing grilling area you've got there!

And remember, it's a spam burger hamburger! 😀

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 05:34:41 PM »
I'll definitely be trying that one! Great entry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:04:56 PM »
Not sure what I like looking at more...the sandwich or your Performer!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »
SPAM SPAM SPAM I LOVE SPAM!!! AWSOME po'boy!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 06:56:01 PM »
Hey @SmokenJoe, I think you win for the most colorful burger cook. Nice work man.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 09:11:37 PM »
Thanks to Ya'll (that's New Orleans speak for each and every one of you).   Give it a try guys, it was really good.
SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".