Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before  (Read 3954 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before
« on: June 04, 2016, 06:22:36 AM »
A while ago @SixZeroFour posted his carbon fiber wrapped WSM performer cart.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/wsm-weber-smokey-mountain/sixzerofour-wsm-performer-cart-carbon-edition/msg166194/#msg166194

I thought it was so cool, I knew if I ever found a gen 2 performer I'd have to copy it. I felt bad about just straight up fronting on another grillfella's style, so I PM'd Matt and asked if it would be okay. Dude is super cool, so of course he was okay with it.

So, onto my carbon fiber wrapped performer.

A few months ago I see a CL garage sale ad that has a "Weber Grill" listed. No more specifics than that. There was piece of furniture my wife wanted, so I drive out there and check it out. Turns out to be this real beat up performer.

This is the only before pic I have

My mind immediately went to Matt's performer that I had so long wanted to copy. I asked the guy what he wanted for it, and he said $80. I told him that would be a fair price if it was in good condition, but with the homemade table, I'b be a buyer in the $30 range. He said he couldn't let it go for that. No problem, I'll just take the piece my wife wanted. 

Well, the following week he has the same garage sale ad posted, but now prices reduced. Sweet, I go back out there and see what he wants for the performer now... Still $80 bucks. Oh well. I'm starting to leave and he says give me your number and if no one takes he'll see what he can do at the end of the day.

A little later he texts me, "Still want it for $30?"
"I'm on my way"

Here's my after...

Table upgrade, and then I wanted to go with an all black midnight look. Took the hubcaps off the wheels to keep the all black look going, and used "wipe new" on all the plastic to bring back the shine.

Alos wanted the high shine polish on the aluminum like @Shoestringshop did here.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-custom-one-touch-platinum-dual-***-done!!!-32316-)-***/msg213088/#msg213088

Put the high shine on the vent and bucket

I took the igniter apart so I could paint the red button black. Even had to paint the propane bottle black. Left the cover for the button and gas assist off, think it has a cleaner look.

I'm left handed so I made a lid hook to go under the vent. This way I can hang the lid off the lid bail as apposed to putting it in the lid bail, gives me a bunch more elbow room. Seen some others do this mod, well worth it for me.

Finally, to really set it off I asked @zavod44 about a black handle, and he made me this incredibly beautiful ebony handle. This handle just screams quality. Thanks Brian!

I usually like to cook on the vintage ones, but man I love this grill!

Thanks for looking, and to all that helped and inspired this one!

SixZeroFour

Re: Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 06:30:32 AM »
What a beauty!! I'm digging the blackout look with the CF too - looks slick!

Awesome grill man - You'll be enjoying that bad boy for many years to come!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 06:48:00 AM »
That looks awesome! Great job.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 06:48:58 AM »
Wow awesome job WNC! Looks fantastic man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 06:50:34 AM »
Get the f$&k out! What a crazy performer.

Dude, all I can think of is the sitcom "Night rider". I want to see David Hasselhoff standing next to it!

Great job Justin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 07:05:51 AM »
That looks fantastic !!  The all-black looks stealthy …

In hind-sight … I'm wondering if I should have went with a plywood custom table …  :o ;D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 07:10:27 AM »
Badass....love it. The handle ties the whole project together dude.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 08:27:45 AM »
Get the f$&k out! ...

... and lock the door, go down the street and pimp-slap ya ho!

Love the "de-contented" front, with sticker and plastic cover both gone from view. @WNC we need to feature this in the modded grills gallery this month! If you have other pix you like instead, send them to me; otherwise I can use these. :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »
That's awesome man! Really slick looking grill!

Are you worried about them filling up the painted tank?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »
... Are you worried about them filling up the painted tank?

My understanding is that you could fill it at home, from a 20lb tank, but not without some risk. Do the 1lb tanks have expansion or purge valves? Can't remember.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 08:59:21 AM »

The propane tank is one of those little disposable camping ones that come in twin packs. So when they run out you just replace them. Better believe I'll paint the next one black too!

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 09:00:47 AM »
Amazing mod .. I love it .. you sure are talented!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »
love it man, it's dark and stealthy

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »

The propane tank is one of those little disposable camping ones that come in twin packs. So when they run out you just replace them. Better believe I'll paint the next one black too!

walmart sells an adapter to refill the small bottles yourself.. Ive been doing it for over a year now and love it. saves money!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.