Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MBH "Redhead" Craig's List find  (Read 4210 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: MBH "Redhead" Craig's List find
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
My goodness Jim. I can't imagine the work you put in there. It looks fantastic!

You do take great pictures. Good job brother! [emoji106][emoji106] Good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 04:21:07 PM »
You did a great job. It looks wonderful.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
I probably have over 8 hours into the cleaning and polishing of the ash pan alone.  Had to do it in 1 or 2 hour blocks as it is real hard on the fingers. 

What methods/materials/techniques were used on the ash pan?

Mac

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 05:08:10 PM »
Wow.  Hard to believe that's a 40-something year old kettle.  Amazing restoration.
SJS, 14 WSM, 22 OKP

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »
Amazing RRR!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 07:04:35 PM »
I probably have over 8 hours into the cleaning and polishing of the ash pan alone.  Had to do it in 1 or 2 hour blocks as it is real hard on the fingers. 

What methods/materials/techniques were used on the ash pan?

I followed the WKC "Ash pan clean up and polish procedure" instructions.  It is the third tab under the Grill Restorations Heading on the WKC Home Page:

Step 1- Deep soak in CLR
Step 2- Removal of surface contaminates with #0000 extra fine steel wool and fine emery cloth
Step 3- Shaping the ash pan
Step 4- Polishing

I agree wholeheartedly with the writer of this article when he states, "In my opinion, one of the most challenging pieces to restore on a Weber kettle is the ash pan".  After soaking in the diluted CLR, I began a process of alternating back and forth between the steel wool and fine and extra fine emery cloth. I tried to always sand with a circular motion, even with the emery cloth.  It makes it easier for the final step of polishing.  I probably spent 4 hours alone on Step 2.  I shaped the ash pan by using a small hammer and gently pounding out any small imperfections.  I used a very smooth brick retaining wall in my yard to slowly pound the pan on.  Whatever you use as a pounding surface, make sure it is extremely smooth as aluminum is easily marred if you use a rough surface to pound on. Work very slowly and pound gently as aluminum is a soft metal.  I used Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish for the final step. I tried Brasso but did not get as much result as with Mothers. This is where you start seeing the fruits of all the hard work coming together. Having now completed a restore on an ash pan I would recommend either covering it with foil when cooking or keep an extra un-restored pan for use when cooking. I would not want to do this again on the same pan.

This was the ash pan before I began the cleanup. This photo was taken after I had hosed off all the loose material. 

This is a large detail photo of what I was dealing with. The crude that was left on the pan was like concrete.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 02:04:12 AM »
Holy Mackerel! Gorgeous!

Now will you put tin foil over the ash pan when you cook on it?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 03:00:40 AM »
Great job on the cleanup! Looks very nice

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 06:14:18 AM »
Holy Mackerel! Gorgeous!

Now will you put tin foil over the ash pan when you cook on it?

Makes sense. I'm still a newbie and wondered why people were doing that (Seeing it in people's post). After reading Jim's explanation on how long and all that's involved, I would to.