Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Healthy Hoss  (Read 3451 times)

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
Re: Healthy Hoss
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 12:37:36 PM »
Dang Hoss that healthy grillin looks awesome!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 01:20:18 PM »
Hoss, it's great to see that you are on the road to recovery. That had to be some scary chit to go through! I'm sure you will quickly get your grilling in order... looks good so far!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 01:47:31 PM »
Fantastic job so far and really good to see you sticking to the advice Hoss. Like others have mentioned you still have boatloads of grilling options... Who knows you might even like a thing or two ;)

Take good care of yourself and let's talk soon!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
Been there, done that. Had a stent put in in 2008 and still kickin. You may want to limit the shrimp though. They are supposedly high in cholesterol. Try to get in a half hour walk each day.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 10:25:50 PM »
Glad to hear you are well good sir! Nice looking pair of cooks too!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2016, 07:12:27 PM »
@stev - shrimp are high in fat...but the good fat I was told by a nurse. I will find out more in nutritional counseling. What I do know is they are very high is salt content. So what I did was gave my buddy who cut my lawn more shrimp than I took for myself.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I was messaging a member tonight who had a "incident" like I did. It helps....thanks.

This was dinner.....

I like the blend of honey/lime juice/Ghost Pepper rub so much I put it on the asparagus too:

Took a little over half the chicken and put it on a arugula salad tossed with some Greek Yogurt based Blue Cheese dressing:

Picked up a salmon filet today and started the process for Indian Candy Salmon. The brine is made with Demerara brown sugar, water, salt, honey and Amber maple syrup....I trimmed the amount of salt down some:

This is gonna sit in the fridge for 18 hours then I will air dry it for 18 hours in a cool room with fans on it. Sunday it will get smoked on low for a few hours. Lying in the hospital last weekend it occurred to me that the only "regular" item in my smoking rotation that I could continue to make as often as I like would be the smoked salmon. This recipe I use has way more sugar than salt....I just trimmed it back by about half to see how it turns out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:16:27 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 05:44:09 AM »
Everything looks great Hoss, keep it up and get yourself better.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 04:32:44 AM »
Another great cook!

That kind of stuff is how my wife has me eating most of the time. She just wanted to watch our weight so we cut out most carbs and processed foods (which are really high in sodium). It's been more than a year now, and truthfully I don't mind it anymore. In fact I'm starting to have a hard time not eating like this.

I guess my point is you get used to it and may even start to like it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 06:36:34 AM »
When you do that salmon Hoss, will you post your measurements please. I'd like to give that salmon brine a whirl....

Keep up the good work! I actually  would like to see a healthy grilling cook/recipe here. Wouldn't hurt any of us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 11:02:42 AM »
When you do that salmon Hoss, will you post your measurements please.

I don't measure much but will provide a link to the youtube video I raided my method from.

I used:

- about 1 and 3/4 cups dark maple syrup....this stuff is one of the key's
- about 3/4 cup honey
- about 3/4 cup demerara brown sugar
- about 1/2 cup water
- about 1 tbsp coarse salt.....this I intentionally cut back on....hopefully it was not too little.

The original recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhef6s7uyk8

You don't need to make the volume of brine this fella does.

After 18 hours in the brine:

Hung:

After 20 hours under fans in air conditioned room:

On the Kettle:

Kept grate temp of about 100f for a few hours using Scotch barrel chunks for flavour. I increased the grate temp to about 170f and brushed with some good bourbon. When the internal temp hit 135f I pulled the meat and sprinkled with pepper and granulated garlic.

With some spreadable brie and fig/pepper jelly:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:47:26 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 10:53:49 PM »
Hoss - little off topic but you need to get into the skin on bone on chicken breasts. They are healthy (you should probably pull the skin off after cooking but it does wonders to keep the breast moist) and if you can sneak a few thighs or wings into the diet then buying a whole chicken makes the breasts soo much cheaper than boneless skinless breasts, which basically suck.

If you must cook boneless/skinless, pound that bird tit flat and give it a quick brine, and sear the bejeseus out of it over a huge pile of lump for a minute or two per side. Thin slice and you'll be in a good place my man.