Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pressure wash inside of kettle?  (Read 1451 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Pressure wash inside of kettle?
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:05:19 AM »
I am beginning the restoration of a Genesis 3000 and plan to pressure wash fire box and inside of lid.

While I'm at it, I thought I could hit the inside of my kettles.

They are not highly collectible or anything, but I don't want to damage them either..

Any experience out there to share?

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Pressure wash inside of kettle?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:42:02 AM »
I tried a couple of years ago with one.  Surprisingly it didn't do well with the kettle.  Razor scraper is better and faster, probably safer too.

This was with a cheaper pressure washer though

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:28:27 PM »
For the inside of the firebox and lid (just the side panels) of your 3000, I would use an angle grinder with a 4in cup wire brush.  Take it all down to bare aluminum, spray it down with some PAM or Canola spray and fire it up.  For the inside lid, use a razor as Troy discussed.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
I tried a couple of years ago with one.  Surprisingly it didn't do well with the kettle.  Razor scraper is better and faster, probably safer too.

This was with a cheaper pressure washer though

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've even steam cleaned some and you still have to get down and dirty with a razor scraper if you want that showroom shine.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!