Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up another SJS and my first cook after joining the forum  (Read 2074 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer

Black NOS SJS with wooden handle.  Not as pristine as the Green I picked up last week.   Had some lid rim damage that I had to fix.  But I like it !

Happy together.

Also,
First cook on the Akorn since I got it.   Grilling some rib steak.

forgot the finished product shot.

Beef Short Ribs on the weekend.

temp @ 300f for a faster cook.  4.5 to 5hrs, taken off at 200f IT.  Came out pretty good.
Last time I tried it on a Performer- temp. to low at 220f and taken off too early.  Too tough and chewy.  Will try at higher temp. next on my kettle.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:52:28 PM by greenweb »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: Picked up another SJS and my first cook after joining the forum
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »
No love for my SJ ;D  Not sure if it is vintage.  EZ-code NIB. I think it is neat with factory wooden handle. I got it cheap too. Forgot to include pic of cool box it came in.

As for cook pics on non-Weber kettle, the grill was picked up 2 weeks ago along with few other Weber kettles I have acquired in short 2 months.  It just happened to be its turn to be cooked on for first time.  It was my first time ever shooting and posting cook pics, so I thought I sneak it in here.

I thoroughly enjoy other members pick up experiences and R and R with lots of pics.  Since joining a week ago, I have picked up 3 more kettles including this one.   2 more picked up threads with before and after pics coming this or next week. I hope you all enjoy them too.

As far as how I am( newbie ) posting, I would appreciate any comments or advice from seasoned members here  for thumbs up or down.  For example, revealing $ picked up or score.  Things are much different here in Canada with much higher $ and limited cool kettle market. So, I am thinking how much I got it for is irrelevant.

All in all, I am here to enjoy and learn.

Thanks,

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:54:54 PM »
That Green SJ is sweet. Did you know that a 22 charcoal grate sits in the Akorn's diffusser plate spot perfect? Sit 2 in offset and you have a sweet holder for lump...and it is only a few inches under the cooking  grate so it sears in a hurry. I have a Akorn but have given myself over to Kettles so it sits unused for a couple years. My mind was not right when I bought it.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 07:31:17 PM »
Looking great! That black sj is a classic. Sounds like you have the weberitis symptoms.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »
Nice SJ. I like it!!!!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »
I love my Sj's. Have 3. One black one green and one copper.. Not counting the
Black one on my mini WSM.
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »
@greenweb you're killing it with your early posts, and welcome!

As for your questions, it all depends on the score and the poster. For example, I often post price when I feel like I got a great deal, less so if I paid fair market or above. For some scores, price is irrelevant because they're so rare or cool (ie, very vintage kettles, or a certain BRAND NEW 26" red find come to mind.

Again, welcome, and keep sharing what YOU think is important.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 10:45:33 PM »
Thank you all for your comments and advice. 

Just noticed.  NIB.  It should be NOS (new old stock) Smokey Joe.   Correction made.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:51:21 PM by greenweb »